ideal isar ongoing problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ideal Isar installed by warmfront. 7 years old ongoing problems re dhw.
Boiler is located in 1st floor bedroom. Only 1 additional rad higher than boilers location in attic conversion. The boiler has a new scale inhibitor fitted on the cw supply which was replaced 2 months ago. The system has a magnatec filter fitted on the flow, NOT the return pipe just below the boiler which was cleaned 2 months ago; when the new replacement scale inhibitor was replaced.

History of work carried out at the property since the boiler was installed is as follows. Note that the boiler has not been serviced as the log book interval service record has never been filled in.

1. New bathroom installed, by me, 2 years ago incorporating a heated towel ladder replacing old rad. System was part drained to facilitate installing new rad and ladder. System topped up with 500Ml inhibitor before repressurising and bleeding.

2. 1 storey kitchen extension and wet room extension built 18 months ago. 1 additional radiator and 1 additional towel ladder fitted, by another contractor, BUT no record of system being re-inhibited.

3. September/October 2012 "plumbcare" attended to diagnose and repair problem with DHW under terms and conditions of insurance agreement. Diverter valve cartridge found to be at fault and replaced. However, boiler continued to display diagnostic fault indicator displaying "L9" = Heat exchanger overheat. Apparently, alledgedly, according to the customer, the plumbcare engineer who attended and replaced the div valve cartridge(old kapput one was left beside the boiler) explained that the repair of this indicated fault.... (Ch OK BUT no dhw/locking out on "L9") was not covered by the terms and conditions of the homeowners insurance. Diagnostic sequence in the manual indicates checking resistance of dry fire thermistor but as the plumbcare engineer diagnosed and recorded the fault, on the interval service record and paperwork was left with the customer as plate heat exchanger; I attended 2 days later and replaced the plate heat exchanger; topping up again the required dosage of inhibitor.

4. January 2013. The customer contacted me to say that they havn't had any dhw for 2-3 weeks. That again, a.n. other plumbcare engineer attended to diagnose and correct the problem. This time, the diverter valve actuator was found to be at fault and was replaced. Again, apparently, alledgedly, this was covered by the terms and conditions of the customers insurance policy but.... (Am I establishing a repeat pattern to this issue???) The boiler locked out again on fault code "L9" indicating a problem with the PHE which was only 2 months old and the system magnatec filter (remember... on the flow from the boiler NOT the return leg) having been cleaned. The attending engineer informed the customer that the PHE should be either cleaned out and or replaced and that a powerflush be recommemnded and quoted in excess of £400.00. :eek:

Now, notwithstanding the issues regarding this make and model of boiler, which have been documentedand discussed at length in the past in this forum, what do my learned associates recommend as a course of action to resolve these ongoing issues once and for all?

Answers on a post-card please.... in anticipation.... the "loaf" : :confused:

Sponsored Links
PS forgot to mention.... Only last week attended another property/customer.... same make/model of boiler, similar age, same problem but this time was the diverter cartidge at fault... straightforward easy peasy lemon squeezy...
I have informed the customer of where I have posted this in the forum. This old posting may be of interest.

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=143198&start=0

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back