Ideal istor 325 - thermal storage thing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The time has come to replace my 197x ideal standard boiler (huge old thing cemented into the floor) and I am considering putting in one of these ideal istor 325. My friend has just had one put in and thinks they are great. It would be great to remove the old header tanks, etc. and have just one unit with instant hot. It would also allow me to take out the whole boiler room and restore my bathroom (big room with beautiful cornice that was divided) to its original state.

I have a couple of concerns around power and flow rate. I have a fairly large house with 15 radiators, and this thing does a maximum of 80K btu - is that going to be enough? I was thinking of just replaing the boiler in a conventional set up to a worcester 40cdi which looks more powerful (but would not give me the benefits listed). It also mentions in the brochure about 28mm primary pipework being required to get better than 60Kbtu. Does this mean replacing the whole pipework system or only the pipework local to the boiler? I don't want to have rip up the whole house.

My mains water flow rate appears to be just over 12lpm - -based on me working out how long it takes to fill a 10l bucket from the cold kitchen tap. I phoned the water company and they told me I have 3-4 bar pressure and there should be no issue with flow rate so somewhat confused? At the moment a huge header tank drives increased pressure in the downstaris bathroom and I use a pump on my shower. Would my water flow rate be an issue - could pumps be used to increase this?

Also any thoughts on the Ideal istor would be helpful - thanks.

Sponsored Links
don't do it! iam sure ya friend will regret it pretty soon!! :LOL: the istor is basically a icos sat on top of a unvented cyl, jus do a search on this site to see some of the faults other people have had with the istor & icos..
if ya thinking about replacing your current boiler i think you'd be better describing the size and type of house you live in and what sorta water usage (power showers etc) and see what the rgi's recommend

Do what the man says.......... run run away from the IcosIsar monster...... does anyone like them??, now that would be interesting. :eek:

The alternative I am considering is one of the big Valliant boilers with their unistor tanks the reason being is that they do a decent size tank so plenty of water available. They look pricey but I guess that you get what you pay for? Is that a better set up?

I have a fairly big house, five public rooms, four bedrooms, three bathrooms, plus its not exaclty energy efficient, loads of outside walls due to a couple of extensions to the back and side, hence the need for a fairly big boiler. I do plan to get a heating engineer in, but I would like ot at least have a vague clue about what I want in advance.

The main worry I have at the moment is around the mains flow rate. I checked again tonight and I get almost 20l per minute from my outside tap which I guess must be mains pressured. Interestingly I get a lot less from my kitchen tap but I am putting this down to the tap itself decreasing the flow rate? Bizarrely there are two stop cocks that shut water down in different parts of the house, but I think that this is due to the fact that it was once two separate properties. So based on 20l per minute flow is it still worth getting a big Valliant unistor tank?

Sponsored Links
The glow worm ultra power is a good choice its like the istor but works.
Or just get a oso cylinder and a remeha system boiler put the both in the loft and you wont have any problems use some decent controls either the remeha isence or the wirelsss honeywell kit sundail rf 2 kit.

The time has come to replace my 197x ideal standard boiler (huge old thing cemented into the floor) and I am considering putting in one of these ideal istor 325.

go and beat yourself with a wet rag

for being silly :LOL: :LOL: ;)

don't do it :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back