Ideal Logic Max Heat flue dripping

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My mother had a new Ideal Logic Max Heat 30 installed just before Christmas. The install looks good but the boiler flue drips when it’s cold outside. Unfortunately, the wall below the flue sticks out by a couple on inches and has a sandstone angled section that the condensate is dripping on.

The installer doesn’t seem to think it’s an issue, but has been back and put a strip of silicone on the end of the flue. Unfortunately, it hasn’t worked and it’s still dripping.

How should the installer fix this?

Sponsored Links
Yup, +1

As suggested with the Ideals there should be at least a 1.5Deg fall back to the boiler to allow the condensate to run back and also so the condensate doesn't damage the wall.

He doesn't seem to think it's an issue because if he is to correct it and hasn't left any space in the flue hole to lift the flue, it'll be a real mare for him.

It tells you in the manufacturers instructions and he needs to fit the boiler as per those instructions, so just show him that.

Thanks for both your inputs. The flue is quite short as the boiler is located in a corner adjacent to an outside wall. It looks either level or with a slight incline back towards the boiler.

Just to be clear, the condensate is not pouring out of the end of the flue, just condensing on the end of the flue and dripping onto the plinth around about 1m up from the ground.

Its not a huge amount, just a drip every couple of minutes when its cold outside.

Sounds like i need to get a spirit level on the flue.

Just to be clear, is it reasonable to expect no drips onto the ground from the flue? The previous gloworm boiler didn't do it, and the worcester Bosch in my house doesn't do it, although my boiler has a upwards facing bend to deflect the plume upwards which i would imagine would prevent the problem anyway.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
yes, yours has what is called a plume management kit
thanks for the clarification. No excuse for him to claim that it's normal then.

A polite but firm chat may be required.

As you say get a spirit level and see what the fall back actually is

If it only does it when it's cold and it's a single drip every minute then it may just be condensation off the top of the flue terminal rather than it's actually the condensate running down the flue and out.

Certainly get a level on it and if it isn't to spec then not unreasonable to have it corrected.

Bear in mind that the Logic inner flue incorporates a built in fall, so if the outer flue is level, there should be enough fall on the inner to allow condensate to run back to boiler.
If, on the other hand the outer flue is sloping downwards...

I've not yet had a chance to get to my mother's house to put a spirit level on the flue, but the installer has replied to my mother's request to fix the problem saying that its jsut condensation, the flue is designed with a fall, she did not get this with her old boiler because the flue was tilted back at too great an angle and if he did that with the current boiler there is a risk of rain water going into the boiler via the flue.

He's offered to fit a plume kit which will 'terminate the flue plume vertically higher than current' .

Its good new that he's willing to help, but the line about the old boiler not dripping is obviously an excuse.

Is the plume kit he's talking about likely to be an upswept bend like i have one my boiler or a full on snorkel type extension? He's a prickly chap who doesn't like being challenged....

He might well be , but sounds like he is doing his best to help out so give him a chance
Absolutely.

That is why i'm asking on here rather than speaking with him directly. My mother ordered the boiler from him in the first place when the previous boiler was still working perfectly as he said it was 'getting a bit noisy' and was prickly when i spoke to him and queried why he'd quoted an Ideal as i didn't think they had the best reputation. Consequently, if i don't need to get directly involved and he fixes the problem, it will be the best outcome as my mother maintains a relationship with him for service and warranty in the future.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back