ideal mexico 40/60 boiler, no hot water ??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, over the last few days we have had no hot water, the rads work fine.

i have the boiler in the kitchen and the tank in the airing cupboard on landing.

this is a weird bit, when we put the hot water on the rads upstairs come on also not downstairs, only up, this has happen ever since we moved in the house 6 months ago.
So, the water is not heating up at the moment, but the rads are still coming on upstairs.

the 2 tanks in the loft are full and the ball valves work fine.

from what i can see coming out of the boiler there is 2 15mm pipes and 2 20mm pipes, 1 of the 15mm pipes is piping hot and the other pipes are cold, and no pipes at the tank upstairs are hot.
Only the hot water is on, not the heating.

Last week i took 3 rads off downsairs to paint and then replaced them, to fill them up i had to plug a hose onto the tap and the rad and fill the system up that way. when the system was full i heard the overflow running water outside, which was coming from the small tank in the loft.

Hope someone could help.

Thanks, lee

Sponsored Links
I think you've got a blocked cold feed and your system has loads of sludge which has damaged the motorized valve(s).

Mick's probably right, but you're going to have to get a heating guy to tell you what's what. Old systems often have several problems.

Sponsored Links
ok thanks.

what could i do to unblock it?

and why would the rads come on upstairs ?

when i select hotwater only, the boiler fires up and does something.

Cheers

IF HOT WATER ONLY IS ON AND THE PIPES GET HOT TO THE HOT WATER MOTORISED VALVE - AND UP TO THE CYLINDER - IS THERE AN AIR VENT TEE'D OFF THE FLOW PIPE TO THE CYLINDER??

No where I can see does the OP mention motorised valves,unless Ive missed it.What he did say is that he had to backfill system after recent draindown.........Blocked cold feed as suggested.
Lee2Lee are you sure of the 2x15mm and 2x 22mm?

Hi, so if i drain the system and flush it out, do you think this will unblock it?

Thanks

most times blockages in the cold feed have to be cut out and cleared or a new section of pipe fitted.
it go's solid.

Deposits20on20wall20of2015mm20pipe.jpg

No, Find where the 15mm pipe from the small tank in loft joins the system and there is where the blockage will be.If there is a gate valve on this pipe then turn it off and you will have to cut just above where it joins the system.Be prepared with old towels etc as you will lose some system water.Use a 15mm compression coupler to rejoin pipe.

there is a 20mm pipe coming out of the bottom of the big tank in the loft which goes into the airing cupboard where there is a gate valve (which i cant turn, its stuck) and carries onto the boiler.

????

To assist in determining the type of system you have could you post pic of cylinder and its pipe connections.I was referring to the smaller fill expansion tank in the loft.What you called the boiler is I think the hot water cylinder.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back