Ideal Mini combi - Can I change my auto air vent myself?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I've just had my expansion vessel swapped on my Ideal Mini C24 boiler (added outside of the boiler), and whilst doing that I noticed that there was a small water leak coming from the boiler itself.

Once my pressure has re-stabilised since the new vessel has been installed I noticed that the system was still losing pressure very slowly (approx 0.1 bar a day). No other leaks on the system so I decided to re-investigate the small leak from the boiler.

Popped the cover off and firing up the heating / shower shows that the auto air vent is wet and leaking, dripping. There's also a gunk build up around the nipple which shows that it's been leaking water. It's not much but it's definitely happening. There's no other leaks on the system so I'm assuming this is where teh pressure leak is coming from.

I've heard that this is a common fault on Ideal Minis (and my boiler is 12 years old). My question is, if I depressurized the system, is it possible to fit a new auto air vent myself? It seems like it's just a case of simply unscrewing the old one and screwing in the new one onto the pump? Or does it need an engineer?

Any advice is welcome! Thanks

Sponsored Links
Its a common fault on any boiler.

If you are not going to fiddle with pipework or radiators then you can just screw it up tight and will stop the leak.

Its only doing anything when the system is installed and there is air to be removed. That can last for a few weeks with a new boiler or rad installation.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back