ideal mini combi - intermittent hot water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Boiler went into lockout after giving intermittent hot water, lights showed fault code,of faulty dhw temp probe. We have replaced this and the ch temp probe but the problem is still there. Downstairs hot tap will run very hot then warm then very hot,same with the shower and basin tap. When running a bath it goes from hot to cold and goes on lockout and the pressure gauge drops. Boiler is 6 years old so don't want to replace. Any ideas where to start with trying to suss out problem? As a single mum I don't want to get ripped off by anyone coming out and charging a fortune to replace many parts if it only needs 1. Any help would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Ch works fine. I did read leaving tap to run to see if rad heats up instead and they don't so hoping that eliminates one problem. The thought of spending lots of money on many parts is not appealing so hoping can get advice to reduce the number of problems it could be.

Get a local gas engineer, the stats could be tested to see if there faulty but your already down money replacing and working on things you have no idea about. I know what the problem is and no parts will be needed! Pay someone who can repair it safely

Sponsored Links
It's been like this for 2 weeks and I had someone look then who quoted me £700 to repair it and suggested I replace it which is why I wanted advice first. Sorry to sound stupid but do I look up for gas engineer rather than boiler repairs? Thanks

The plate heat exchanger is probably blocked so it shouldent cost too much to fix (no new parts needed) ask your neighbours if they can recommend someone that does boiler repairs.

As above, get someone who is recommended, £700 is a joke! You could pay for a fixed price repair for £300. Look for a plumber who is gas safe registered!

I would expect to charge about £136 to sort it out in my local area.

Tony

Thanks for replies.I was definitely going to be ripped off of £700 then. It's good to know how much I should be looking to pay and at that price I would be happy to pay someone that. Need to start looking for a local. Again thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back