Intermittent hot water from Modena 80 combi!

http://www.boilersparesdirect.co.uk/parts-online/shopexd.asp?id=36856
If the hot water demand lamp doesn't light when you open the hw tap then 9/10 it going to be the flow meter or flow switch as others state.
A minimum of 2.5 ltr's a minute is required for the flow meter to operate.
Another thing to be wary of is the air pressure switch.If the switch has stuck in the closed position when there is demand for hot water the boiler will not fire.

Thanks for your reply.

Now the problem has gone worse. No hot water when we turn on the tap, before it uesed to be less frequent.

The gas engineer who visited us on Tuesday, said his firm will call us back on the price of fittng the flow switch and labour charnge. Well, today I contacted them, as they hadn't contacted us, and they told me £160 in total. Do you think that's a fair charge to supply and fit a flow switch?

The tap symbol does not light when we turn the hot water tap.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
From start to finish I would have charged £84 plus the cost of the part over the counter which would have been more like £60 but less if you wanted to wait for a mail order.

You have not said what you have paid from the start.

Tony

answer it does not sound too bad
but the question is do you still have to pay if they got it wrong

From start to finish I would have charged £84 plus the cost of the part over the counter which would have been more like £60 but less if you wanted to wait for a mail order.

You have not said what you have paid from the start.

Tony

Thanks Tony for your reply.

Yes, we had paid him £108 for call out charge and half-hour labour charge to do the repairs. He was called again within a week, as the problem was still present, so he came round for a 'recall' few days ago and identified the fault as faulty flow switch.

Now I don't mind paying the money, but some residents in our block of flats mentioned getting cold water when their boiler is ok, is it to do with low water pressure, which is an issue in our area with Thames Water?

I'm anxious that even if we replace the flow switch, will I still end up with the same problem?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Is that a total payment to them of £160 ?

Or is it £108 PLUS £160 ?

I have not seen your boiler or tested it but it would often be the flow switch with those symptoms.

Testing will determine the flow rate. the boiler should turn on with about 2.5 li/min.

Tony

Is that a total payment to them of £160 ?

Or is it £108 PLUS £160 ?

I have not seen your boiler or tested it but it would often be the flow switch with those symptoms.

Testing will determine the flow rate. the boiler should turn on with about 2.5 li/min.

Tony

Total =£160

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back