Ideal Minimiser Boiler problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am having problems with my Ideal Minimiser boiler. We bought the house about a year ago and since then we have had to call out a gas engineer four times to service/clean out the boiler (at £55 per visit) to get it to work properly. The house is only 10 years old and I believe the boiler is the same age.

I am told that the problem lies in the heat exchanger which gives off a lot of dust that accumulates and prevents the burner from lighting properly. Once serviced the boiler runs fine for around 2-3 months before working intermittently and then failing to light the burners at all.

The engineers we have spoken to have all recommended replacing the boiler with a new one. Is there no alternative fix/repair to this ? Is replacing the boiler the only option ?

In addition to the burner problems, there is a persistent drip from the bottom of the boiler which forms a pool of water on the worktop in our kitchen. Is this normal or fixeable ?

If the answer to the above questions is to replace the boiler, what make would you recommend. I have heard Vaillant and Worcester boilers are reliable.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Sorry to hear you have a Minimiser! Awful boiler. Ok, the minimiser is very difficult to clean the heat exchanger completley, it requires at least 90 minutes work, full strip down and a vac with an adaptor to suck out all the deposits.

Has yours been modified? IDEAL came out witha kit to rectify problems it was having, your engineer should inform you of this.

Your leak is due to either the syphon at the back of the boiler or and most realistic a failing heat exchanger that leaks when hot, i've seen them ok cold but leak when hot and down the electrodes, coming out of the combustion box, normally taking the pcb out.

I'd get an engineer in, replace HE, burner and electrodes. Long job and could cost £400 plus.

I virtually guarentee the leak is from the flue not being seals...it can easily be slid out and a good smear of silicone sealent does the trick, this is a corgi job though.

Sponsored Links
I'd get an engineer in, replace HE, burner and electrodes. Long job and could cost £400 plus.[/quote]

if so yor a ****.
the boiler needs replacing

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back