IDEAL SPRINT - what bit is this?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Still trying to get hold of a manual for my old Ideal Sprint RS 75.
Whilst waiting I've been looking at the boiler and identifying various parts. Now to some I might sound thick but I need to identify one big piece. It is the large gray tank on the bottom right of the boiler.

Also which bit is the DHW calorifier? :oops:

Sponsored Links
That is your calorifier, it should look like a round grey unit with several pipes coming out of it.
If you plan to remove it I wish you well, they were a good boiler at the time but tend to leak more often than not when disturbed.( Even in places you haven't touched)

DON'T TURN THE BOILER ISOLATION VALVES OFF AS YOU WILL HAVE WATER EVERYWHERE.

Hope that helps

I've found them a doddle to work on -all the bits are easy to get and cheap, even the calorifier. I got a manual from Ideal a year or two ago. Agree about the isolating valves though!

hth

You can contact Ideal Boilers using any of the following details:

By Post:

Ideal Boilers
PO Box 103
National Avenue
Kingston Upon Hull
East Yorkshire
HU5 4JN
Phone or Fax:

Phone: 01482 492251
Fax: 01482 448858

Email:

[email protected]

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies.

Had someone round today who told me to bin it and buy a new one. Not much hope of that at the moment so I will have a crack at cleaning it up. Damm thing worked fine just a week ago.

I wrote to Ideal via email last week with no response. Think I have pretty much cracked what everything does now after going into various book stores and cribbing the plumbers manuals. That and downloading a few pdf's of other boilers.

I will go get some washer sets from the plumbers shop up the road tommorow put on a set of flippers and give it my best. Once I've drained the thing I will be ok.

Pointers where to start please....

You could start by telling us what's wrong with it?

Chris R

Sorry Chris. I did explain on an earlier post and you gave a few suggestions.

Last week I noticed the flow from the Hot taps was very low and very hot. I thought it was a pressure problem in the area but saw that the cold water ran fine. I was cussing because I knew it was a problem with the boiler and I am about to sell the flat and hoped it would last out.

A few days later the opposite seemed to occur. The flow rate of the hot tap is twice what it was even in the good days and so much so that the water does not get a chance to heat.

Meanwhile the central heating side seemed to work fine and the radiaters got very hot. Today I noticed there was no gurgling noise when I first switch on the CH (always made a small gurgling noise when I first switched on as the water started to flow. Nothing big) Now nothing and I see that the pressure starts to rise. Radiators still get hot but I switched off thinking the problem could be serious.

I am pretty skint and cant afford a new one and hoped to have crack at cleaning it up a bit before telling the people who agreed to buy the flat they will have to get a new boiler, meaning knock money off the purchase price.

Oh it's you! - sorry I lost the thread, just reread. Not sure if you mean that he hw flow suddenly became poor. It wouldn't do that just because of scale/sludge which would build up over years.

The sudden hw failure is the diverter/diaphragm. Diaphragm is the most common "Giannoni" one, which would fit various Aristons Halsteads, Worcesters and loads of others. You should be abe to get that locally. Overheating of radiators is something wrong with temp regulation. If that's sudden/coincidence, could you have knocked something like a cable connection or sensor? New sensor isn't expensive.

The pressure doesn't affect anything until it gets too low - well below 0.5 bar. The pressure will rise as the water expands on heating, no problem with that as long as it's below 3 bar.

The dhw heat exchanger (calorifier) you could get descaled. Need to find somewhere local to you which does it (~£30)- boiler breaker would be an ideal "find" for you! You could do it yourself with a mix of sulphamic and citric acids in a bucket of warm water. Not as hairy as it sounds - the chemicals are sold in plumbers merchants But a new one isn't much more.

The people buying the place know - if they care- that it's an old boiler. Now it needs mending, no big deal.

I'll email you where to get the bits if you want to go that way. Sorry no scanner.

Thanks Chris

I think I have enough info to go on now. I will go to a couple of plumbers supplies locally and if they have a few of the parts I may well give it a go.

Me thinks the buying/selling process of property will take some time so if I can get the boiler half right it will see me through until I'm outa here,

Cheers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back