Ideal c28 mini intermittent ignition

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just moved into a new home with an ideal c28 mini that appeared to work ok. However over the past week I've noticed that sometimes when there is hot water demand (for both CH and HW) the boiler won't light and the green light flashes 4x second. The only remedy is to turn off the demand, wait for the boiler light to stop flashing and try again.

I read some other posts that the ignition board might have some dry solder joints (my boiler has 2x boards) so I checked the PCB and resoldered all the dry joints (particularly those around the big power resistors). Everything else looked okay on the board - I'm an electrical engineer/physicist so when it comes to fixing stuff I'm pretty handy with a soldering iron 😉

The boiler sounds ok, fan comes on, pump is whirring, but it appears to occasionally skip the ignition.

I'd appreciate any suggestions as the previous owners had some air valve part replaced days before we moved in and they said this had fixed the problem. I understand the boiler is quite old and would be open to suggestions on a new boiler if needed - but a quick fix for the summer would be nice!

Sponsored Links
I wouldn't bank on much help with an ignition fault.
It may be time to ring your local gas man.
Jeff.

Take the cover off the pcb.

When the light is flashing fast (fault) move the right hand dip switch down.

The resulting sequence of lights should tell you where the fault lies.

Been away for a while so no time to check. I've taken off the panel and flipped the DIP switch when I get the x4 flashing front panel light.

The inside LEDs light up in the following way (from left to right - although in this combination it doesn't matter!)

Green (flashing) Red (solid) Green (flashing)

They flash about 1x second.

Sponsored Links
Time to call a registered gas engineer - could be one of a few things, PCB, APS, fan, or just in need of a service. Whichever one it is, it's not something that you can sort yourself unfortunately. Note that, also, if it's a pre-2003 model there was a safety recall on certain flues for this boiler - your RGI can check whether yours is affected

We don't give advice on gas or combustion issues here.

So the best advice as stated is to call a competent engineer to repair it.

It will be about 10 years old now but it is still quite repairable in the right hands and all the spares are still available.

Tony

Thanks for the advice. I've just moved into the area so if there are any gas engineers in Barnet or recommendations that would be most useful.

Phone up BG and get a fixed price repair for around 190 the ignition boards alone for these are around 120

£200. Ouch :( would rather put that money towards a new boiler as the previous owner already spent a fair bit on repairs and upkeep and I have a feeling that the boiler is a little unreliable and somewhat old. Any suggestions on a decent replacement for a 3 bed mid-terrace house?

intergas but you will probably get a different recommendation from everyone that posts.

Baxi duo tec HE A proven track record and 7 year warranty at a reasonable price

I'm new to this and have never had a combo boiler so appreciate the suggestions. Any thoughts on Vaillant or Worcester? Also, At some point in the future we may install a fourth room with bathroom/shower ensuite into a loft conversion. I understand that water pressure essentially governs whether you can run 2 showers or not, but if the pressure is okay is it worth upgrading to a bigger boiler?

It is less likely to be the ignition PCB if you have resoldered the joints.

I would not expect it to be much more than about £120 to fix. But without seeing it obviously I cannot say. Even with a new PCB it would only be about £190 and that would be the worst case.

Odd how you baulk at a BG repair for £200 but not worried about a new Intergas boiler for £1890 !

Tony

I was just weighing up my options and as I had mentioned before, the previous owner noted that it was unreliable at times and spent £££ on repairs, which in my opinion would be better spent on a more efficient and reliable boiler. I don't like spending money anymore than the next guy but £100 here and there will certainly add up in the next few years :(

It is not one of the most reliable Biasi boilers but about typical for similar Baxi and Potterton boilers about 10 years old.

Replacing it with a condensing boiler will save up to 12 % on the gas bill but that saving will never be recouped from the capital outlay needed for a new boiler.

Its a totally repairable boiler and has a few more years of life in it. They typically only give a fault every three years and mostly that PCB or dirt in the system ( which is not the manufacturer's fault ).

The added complication of the condensing technology in current boilers gives an additional possibility of faulting.

Tony Glazier

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back