Ideas and help with stripping and painting a dresser DIY :)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,
I have a beautiful dresser, however when we were moving into our new rental, it got damaged, (as you can see there are scratches all over it and the handles went missing in action as well. I'd really like to strip it, paint it and drill in some new knobs/handles on it as I still love it.

There is one catch, I am new to DIY and have never en devoured on this type of project before, I'd be really grateful if someone could tell me exactly how to go about stripping it back and painting it and the materials I'd need for this, also I am open to suggestions for a new color for it, I have cream walls, in the bedroom and neutral tones, but i'd be up for changing the color up to a more vibrant color, all suggestions welcomed and appreciated :)

Thanks alot.

Sponsored Links
If you intend to paint the dresser then there is no need to strip the existing varnish, place some warm water in a bowl with a squirt of mild detergent and wet abrade with 400 grit paper. Take care not to breakthrough the varnish all you need to do is dull down the sheen, wipe down and allow to dry then give it one or two coats of Crown Solo. In my opinion a gloss finish on work of this nature offers a cheap look, so go for a satin finish. With regard to your choice of colour this would be a personel preference.

Dec

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back