Ideas for converting a concrete 'garden' into usable space

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello!

My boyfriend and I have just bought a house which is gorgeous, but we had to compromise on the garden. The rear garden has had concrete poured and has been used for parking several cars/vans. The double garage is accessed here also.

But my bf and I love gardening, and the dog loves her garden time. I don't think we'll be able to rip up the concrete as it'll be too costly given the size of the area so other than a bit of decking and pots/planters (of which I have many) what can we do to cover the concrete? It's too big to deck all over so I'm wondering if we can use a resin type covering or even some sort of creteprint to make it look less industrial.

No idea on cost though, so potentially these could be costlier than trying to rip up the concrete! Any ideas, or better ideas? (PS. Fake grass is a hard no)

Sponsored Links
It's not so costly if you remove it yourself? Just very hard work! Creteprint is expensive imo and has to be maintained. If I were in your shoes, I'd wait til I could afford it and make your garden as lovely as you want it, given you both like gardening. I guess with a new house you have other priorities to begin with?

Artificial grass? Oh, just saw the last line!

How big is the entrance to your garden?
I'm thinking a mini excavator may be of help. It will be a tough job but if you can get one through the gate you can then spend a bit of time each evening and at weekends to break it all up. Then hire a skip to load all the broken bits.
Prices in the Birmingham area start at around £70 per day.
https://www.planthirenow.co.uk/micro-digger-hire-birmingham/

If you are planning on staying for a long time then it's worth the cost of doing it right first time. The added bonus is that when you come to sell it should add a bit of value above having a concrete back garden.

Sponsored Links
Your better off just spending a couple of days with a pickaxe and a sledgehammer and getting it up. Then build some raised beds, put greenhouse and potting shed up etc..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back