Ideas for DIY alteration to aluminium cassette

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got this roller blind cassette from a botched order that I want to repurpose as a cover for the mechanism above a sliding door. I need to remove, or bend back, the circled bit that sits proud. Any ideas how I could do that? It's aluminium I think so should be pretty soft, though it doesn't bend by hand.

I don't have an angle grinder. Maybe that's the only way.

Attachments

• 20240205_092555.jpg
    20240205_092555.jpg
    210.7 KB · Views: 25
  • 20240205_092541.jpg
    20240205_092541.jpg
    322.1 KB · Views: 26
Sponsored Links
Do you want to bend it back or cut it off?
To cut it off, an angle grinder is your best option. Failing that, a standard hacksaw.
If you can get away with bending it back out of the way, I would suggest a pair of mole grips to get a good purchase on it and simply work your way along it, bending a short section at a time. Don't try to bend it all the way, just about a third, or possibly half, then start again to bend it to the correct position.
If you do cut it off, (or it snaps off when bending), don't forget to de-burr the edge with a small file.

Aluminum will bend easily under the right amount of pressure, evenly applied through a pair of mole grips. If you have to cut the piece, then use a hacksaw to avoid too much vibration through the metal.

Sponsored Links
Cut off best, bend back adequate.

I like the idea of mole grips, then inching down the length. I could clamp the bit adjacent to the bend between two longer strips of wood to prevent the torque from deforming the rest of the piece.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back