Ideas for how to finish off?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all. I've got an internal opening through a thick stone wall. I've built a frame to plasterboard sides and help out the aging lintels, but need to finish to the old plastered wall.... As you can see in photos it's, er, far from plumb!
Will filler stick to expanding foam? Could I potentially shape the foam and then fill?
Any other ideas gratefully received!

Attachments

• PXL_20230302_091832068.jpg
    PXL_20230302_091832068.jpg
    286 KB · Views: 59
  • PXL_20230302_091808635.jpg
    PXL_20230302_091808635.jpg
    294.9 KB · Views: 45
Sponsored Links
Are you trying to straighten the adjacent walls? In which case D&D them. Otherwise just run the plasterboard past the edge of your frame, trim to the wall profile and foam a bit of plasterboard into the gap. You can get plasterboard external corner tape if you need something more flexible than the metal stuff.

Great! Thanks. No, not trying to plumb up walls so your advice sounds spot on.

How would I fix formed bit of plasterboard in?

I'd cut a square vertical line down the plaster either side of the opening to reveal a decent bit of stone (a foot either side should do it).

With the stone revealed and cleaned I'd cut a bit of plasterboard that will run flush to the corner of your wooden frame, pack the frame out so you can screw the plasterboard flat to it and then use the following to stick the other part of the board to the stone work.

Id probably put a couple of screws in the plasterboard into the stone at the edge where it meets the old plaster just to stop it expanding out too far.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back