Sealing a chimney in a stone rubble-fill wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone know if you can get a heatproof expanding foam?
I've cut a duct for an extractor fan at the top of the house through a 2ft stone wall, and accidentally caught the side of the chimney, opening it to the rubble cavity. I want to keep the duct in this place. I can't use sand & cement to seal the cavity because of its awkward shape and the fact that filling needs to be done above the duct too. Foam or some kind of wadding is needed to stuff the space and seal it.
Any help gratefully received.

Sponsored Links
Thanks, Noseall. The gaps are too big for that, though, and it's the space above the duct that's going to be tricky. Any other thoughts, anyone?

there is a fire-resistant foam used for sealing round doorframes. Don't know how suitable it is for your job though. I would have tried to use sand and cement, possibly stuffing the gap with handfuls of fibreglass insulation to give it some support while it sets.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back