How to fill large gap around uvpc windows prior to skimming

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
As a new home owner am new to all this home improvement stuff so please forgive my ignorance.

I hated the large plastic trims around the window frames so have removed them and now am wondering how to fill the void before having the entire wall skimmed. The options I could think of are:

1- add brick and mortar with bricks fitted vertically and then apply expanding foam to the remaining 10mm or so gap, the apply some hardwall ready for skimming

2- just use expanding foam and cut out excess. Render and skim

3- use wooden baten to fill the gap and then apply expanding foam and render.

4- use some sort of space filler or solid insulation foam with plasterboard backing. Wilk have to cut to size.

None of the above.

The gap is more than the width of a standard brick so am worried filling it with foam will make the plaster flexible and prone to cracking. May fit smaller trim if necessary but the 10cm wide ones are an eye sore and not going back.

Thank you all ahead of your helpful advice.

Sponsored Links
try using some bigger timber to fill the gaps,and then use expanding foam.

Plaster board that's brought level with the surrounding wall then skim the entire wall. Dry wall adhesive to stick board, or batten and drywall screws.

Sponsored Links
If the new brick would be mortared to existing brick then that's what I'd do. Wet the old brick first to improve the adhesion.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back