Filling in gaps around pvc frame?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have just noticed that in my bedroom window the window doesn't look as if its been fitted properly as there is a gap running across the right hand side and part way across the top internally. On my other windows they have used the pvc trims down the sides so I am wondering if its worth doing the same as the chances are there will be gaps again.

No wonder my wife and I are complaining about the noise through the double glazing and the cold!

Could I use something like UniBond Flexible Decorating Filler to fill these gaps internally around the window or would I need something else.

For the other windows with the PVC trims on each side of the window would I be better tackling this from the exterior and filling with expanding foam? If so which is a recommended product and approach to use?

And is it an easy job to remove the PVC trims and put them back on after the foam has gone off?

Sponsored Links
yes your better off removing the trims and foaming all gaps. Them trim back foam with a sharp knife and refit trims with silicone. Silicone is better than caulk around windows as it tends to deal with condensation better.

Thanks

What about for the gaps internally around the window frame? Use Silicon for this? If so will any Silicon do?

Sponsored Links
What about for the gaps internally around the window frame? Use Silicon for this? If so will any Silicon do?

If the gap is between the frame and a painted surface you would normally use painters caulk.

If however the gaps are pre-plaster, then you can use silicone or foam depending on the size of the gap.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back