Sealing around window

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I am having new insulation and acoustic plasterboard installed, but when we pulled off the trim around the window, you can see the outside!

What is best for filling in this gap foam?
wind.JPG

Sponsored Links
You need silicone goo on the outside. If you use foam, you will see brown bubbles from the outside and I am not sure it will be watertight enough. I can't if there is any depth to the area you want to fill, I would run your new boarding right up to the frame.
Frank

The problem as well is when they installed the window there is a piece of plastic either side of the window that runs from the inside to outside as shown in the pic below. So I cant really remove this as there would be
wind2.jpg
about a 3 inch gap either side

They either made the windows too small or there was another obstruction which necessitated the plastic on the right. Either way you need a silicone as suggested on the outside.

Ps that was probably the reason it's so noisey, the gap and covering it over with plastic...

Sponsored Links
I would use silicone on the outside first, then on the inside. I guess the side to side gap is your 3", but how deep is the gap between the inner wall surface and the inner surface of the window surround, or the depth of that on edge plastic plank. If its over 1/4", I would PVA the edge of the existing wall and fill the gap with mortar up to the surface of the existing wall, as you are going to board over it anyway.
Frank

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back