Ideas for kitchen ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Whats the best way to tackle this ceiling. I want to rip it down and start again but if there is an easier option i would go for it.

I need the height for the new kitchen cabinets or i would think about boarding the ceiling.

There is a load of old flaky paint which wont come off with a steamer and scraper, there are also alot of holes in places and some mouldy spots from the bathroom above leaking in the past.

I could go for the anaglypta type textured wall paper to try and cover the imperfections but not sure how effective it would be.

Pulling it down and starting again would sort out the mess and give me a new fresh ceiling but what are your thoughts.

20170930_103419.jpg
20170930_103407.jpg

Sponsored Links
Agreed,, overboard it, you wont lose much height, a 2x1 inch batten, + 1/2 inch thick plasterboard. 1 and a half inch height loss overall.

Why batten. Tap to find the joists, or lift a few boards upstairs, and drill by the side of a couple of joists to get the edges, and then overboard. You can even use 9mm boards if you want, so you'll lose half an inch.

The danger with that ceiling, is that anything you put on it, either won't cover the imperfections, or will delaminate.

Sponsored Links
yep find the joists and screw to them or if it's plasterboard just pull it down won't be too messy

Why not cover it with a nice Matt white ceiling cladding. It fits together like tongue & groove, is super easy, cheap and looks really good.
No mucking about with plasterboard et al!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back