replacing old kitchen ceiling ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i am currently renovating the kitchen/dining room making it open plan etc..re-boarding the external walls due to poor condition and skimming the whole room(s) etc, in the kitchen i am having fitted that upvc white ceiling cladding(unsure correct name) which also goes well with recessed downlights..it is approx 10mm thick and as we have ripped down the old kitchen ceiling/plasterboard we was thinking of pinning it directly to the existing ceiling lats/battens(which are fixed to the steel frame..as its a steel framed house i might add) which would then also blend in well with the dining room plasterboarded ceiling maybe with a slight small edging strip..only problem that concerns me is the upvc cladding as a lone ceiling..will i lose alot of insulation & soundproofing properties ? as the ceiling is down at moment and the house is freezing + echoing..although it will be as its unoccupied at present fair enough..someone suggested replacing the old ceiling plasterboard with 25mm fireboard and then pin the upvc white cladding to this or even batten it out 1st..i just want to get it right 1st time before new kitchen etc goes in & worst case scenario would be get the fitter as he suggests to just fit the cladding to the original battens and to later find that it doesnt insulate the kitchen very well losing heat rapidly & also you can hear every footstep/noise above in bedroom/bathroom much more prominently than when ity was plasterboarded.. :confused: any thoughts from you guys that have dealt with this sort of problem cheers again :)

Sponsored Links
If you are talking about halogen down lighters, you are sadly mistaken, they will run at temperatures exceeding 200 C. They also are awful in regards to running costs as they light directly down you will need alot of them and at 50W each thats gonna be alot of electricity. Also you should make yourself fully aware of Part P if you havent already.

If you were to go for a ceiling mounted light then you could put rockwool above the ceiling and plasteboard over, this will give you sound and heat insulation keeping your room quieter and warmer :)

wont be using halogen john no worrys about that 1 :D more so firerated gu10 , mr16 etc lower running costs..but more to the point the issue here is the integrity of the ceiling that i am looking to get right 1st time around tbh cheers

Sponsored Links
fair enough i will look at alternative fittings/lamps.. :) anyone had a similar dillemma with kitchen ceiling advice needed cheers :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back