Ideas for retaining wall: possibly using Gabions or sleepers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My garden was once used to extract chalk for making bricks and as such has be dug out to a depth of up to about 10m in some places.

On one boundary the depth of my garden is approx 2-3m below my neighbours. The bank is completely unsupported and at a fairly steep angle. The garden has been like this for approximately 100 years.

However I would like to tidy it up and also stabilize it a bit.

I initially thought of using sleepers to build something either by putting them on end or using the horizontally with steel "I" bar supports to slot the sleepers into, however this would be very expensive and I am not sure how long it would last.

Then I saw some gabions walls on TV,I don't know how much they would cost but they have the advantage that I can fill them with with stuff I already have (I have a lot of concrete brick and stone from an old house that was demolished on site).

The gabions wall would be about 35m long and drop from about 2-2.5m at the highest to about .5-1m at the lowest point.

Does anyone have any experience of using Gabions and if this idea makes sense.

If it makes sense how do I set them on (into) the ground, do they need a foundation? and how are they joined together? what sizes and types (if there is a choice) would be best?

Also any contacts for purchasing gabions?

Any comments or alternative ideas very gratefully accepted.

Sponsored Links
sleeprs will last a long time, but the gabions would seem to make sense in your instance. they dont need to go into teh ground. Just think of them like giant building bricks filled with rubble. they just get stacked on each other, battering back into the hillside to give the support. have a search on the web, plenty of companies supply them and they are quite cheap

What did you end up doing?

Ive used gabions and softwood sleepers for many projects with great results.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back