ideas for steps

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am new to this forum so I hope I am posting this question in the correct section.
I have had french doors put in and need to build some steps outside.
My problem is that I have another door already with steps adjacent to the new doors and at a different height.
I cannot get my head round how I can build steps to accommodate both doors.
The doors are at the back of a terraced house so there is only a small yard that they come out to and I really want to keep the step area to a minimum so as not to lose too much yard space.
There is also a grid next to the existing steps that limits me a bit.
I have posted some photos - one with sizes to show what I am trying to explain.

Can anybody suggest a possible way I can get round these problems and build steps to accommodate both doors?

Sponsored Links
Seems like a real foolish place to put French doors.
Never minding the different levels. :rolleyes:
I'd pull them out and brick it up again if it was mine. You'll never make a silk purse out off a pigs ear!

Someone will take a right toss over that. :LOL:

Sponsored Links
I think you need a platform the full width of the yard at the height of the lower door then steps down from there.

I think you need a platform the full width of the yard at the height of the lower door then steps down from there.

That was my original plan but it takes up a lot of space down the yard and the grid has to be allowed for.

I like the semi circular idea - an inside curve would probably be the best space saving way.

I must admit, no thought was given to the outside when we had the doors put in - it was done to enhance the room and let more light in than anything.
A neighbor down the road has done the same but their door is not as high - I suspect they have put a couple of steps inside the room to come from floor level down to the door level. They only have a small step outside.

Maybe you should have had inward opening doors, and fitted a Juliet balcony rail?

an inside curve? someone will do themselves a nasty. just be careful what you do mate, already anyone going through the new door will expect the distance from step to door to be the same as the other door they can see.

I'd probably lock them and hide the key!

I think that items 1, 2 and 3 are correct - but check. Item 4 would probably be down to the visiting BCO.

1. Bldg. Regs. Part K 6.16 and 6.17 External steps . Your existing steps dont appear to meet this requirement.

2. Regs also require a handrail for three or more steps for entrance into a dwelling.

3. Constructing access steps where none existed before requires BCO approval.

4. An external light switched from the kitchen and the living room would also, perhaps, be required by BCO.

You have one 9" x 6" metal air vent - you probably could increase that with another 9" x 6" air brick - you cant afford to block off any sub-floor ventilation. Just something to keep in mind.

If you duck BCO approval, and build regardless of the Regs, and someone has an accident, you would be found to have disregarded Blg Regs and BCO approval. Just saying.

Note: there appears to be a line of old DPC injection holes in the header course below the new cill.

Seems like a real foolish place to put French doors.
Never minding the different levels. :rolleyes:
Looking at that ventilator, I'd say the floors inside are also at a different levels.

I'd pull them out and brick it up again if it was mine.
Dunno about that, but no way would I have had French doors like that - when the LH one (looked at from outside) is open it will be over the opening for the other door. They are too narrow anyway - the proportions are wrong (width of stiles vs glazing).

One wide door hinged to open against the fence would have been much better, and would have brought more light into the room.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back