Ideas needed for new build extension please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I am buying a new build house next year and really want to extend the kitchen diner (on the left side) of the property, however the boundary fencing is on an angle.

I've added a birds eye pic from the development model to show the plot.

Any clever ideas to get around this?

I'd really appreciate your thoughts

Mark

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    119.8 KB · Views: 119
Sponsored Links
I know what I'm about to say will get completely ignored, but I feel duty bound to say it anyway. Firstly, I have to question purchasing a property that then needs extending even before you've moved in. And looking at the picture, you've already got a small garden, and any reduction in it will make it more difficult to sell when you move on. New builds are now reckoned to be smaller than they should be, and are notorious for having faults that home owners struggle to get resolved, and lastly, they are reckoned to be 10% over priced, and never reach the initial sale price for those that have to sell within the first couple of years.

I'd suggest you have a quick chat with your local planning officer, and make sure you'd even be able to do it, but my best suggestion would be to pull out of the sale.

I would find out what permitted development rights the property will have as often they will be restricted on new builds, the odd shape is nothing that can't be overcome, planning on the other hand ....

Hi, thanks for your reply.
I understand your concerns, we are moving to the new area due a number of factors including schools, location, the development & house is perfect for us apart of us wanting a little extra room in the kitchen diner. (There isn't a house model available meeting our exact requirements, next model up is £100k +)

I am interested in what can physically be done within physical contstraints of the plot, ideas welcome!

Sponsored Links
Talk to the developers, and see if the kitchen can be put on the other side of the property, and get them to quote for the extension. there's no point in them putting up a wall and a window, and then having them taken down.

If it's not been built yet, then the fence might go anywhere and not how that image shows.

Otherwise it's que sera and you build to the constraints. See you in 2017.

Hi, I have asked them and they are so not build "bespoke" so can't materially change the plans unfortunately.

Aftermarket extensions are our only choice, any ideas?

If they're a reasonable company, then they can do anything, as they are supposed to be builders, so that's you're first warning sign. Won't they at least swap over the kitchen layout so the extension wall can be built on the common area, rather than having to invade the neigbours garden when (and if) it's done.

I suspect you'll either have to live in it as it is, or look elsewhere.

PMSL Mr Barratt I wonder if you could just adjust your whole build programme, get your architects to whack in an amendment to the planning application and do some Regs drawings! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

It's worth another ask, as some of the other similar properties have the kitchen diner on the right.

If not, would it be possible to build an extension with an angled wall to account for the angles boundary fence?

Well freddy, the builders doing the extension would have to do that, and they'd get paid for it, so why not ask the initial builders to see if they'd incorporate the changes, and you'd get the job done for less, and all changes made before they move in.

Anything can be done m8, but not everything that can be done, is a sensible thing to do. You'll end up with a small kitchen diner, in an odd shaped property, with a small garden. But if it's what your after, just talk to everyone involved, and see what can be done.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back