Identify Boiler Pipework

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

IMG_20220121_121520.jpg

IMG_20220121_121622.jpg

Above is a couple of pictures of my boiler and it's pipework, in the first picture I've labelled the pipework on it clips, from left to right it's marked 1, cold, gas, hot, 2.

I know the cold, gas and hot are all correct as they were labelled further along the pipework by a plumber, 1 and 2 I'm assuming are for the radiators, is one a feed and one the return and if so which is which? The second photo shows under the boiler I've marked the pipework with 1 and 2 respectively.

The reason for asking is I'm getting ready to extend the plumbing into my new extension, gas engineer is sorting the gas pipe tomorrow. The pipe marked hot I'm assuming is the one to use for the hot taps?

Cold I'll be taking from the water main as it enters into the extension.

That leaves me with pipes 1 and 2, I'm assuming the feed goes on the trv side of rad and the return the lockshield side? Does it matter where I tee into 1 and 2, do I need to be doing it off the last rad in the current circuit or will anywhere convenient do?

Thanks
Chris

Sponsored Links
I know the cold, gas and hot are all correct as they were labelled further along the pipework by a plumber, 1 and 2 I'm assuming are for the radiators, is one a feed and one the return and if so which is which? The second photo shows under the boiler I've marked the pipework with 1 and 2 respectively.

Flow is the one which is hotter than the other one, which is the return. It is even more obvious the difference in temperature, when the heating first fires the boiler.

Sponsored Links
2 is the Flow, 1 is the Return.

Is doesn't really matter which way the TRV goes...far more important is that it can sense the airflow returning the radiator ie. don't jam it in a corner or behind a sofa.

Assuming the heat load is miniscule in the new extension it shouldn't matter too much where you tee off the Flow & Return...modern boilers like a wider delta (temp drop) so
the pipe friction is much lower today, but obviously don't extend an already excessive length of 15mm with large rads on it.

More importantly why are the 2 front casing screws missing? You can't rely on those silvery clips for security.

Extension is 103sqm there will be 4 extra rads downstairs, 2 500mm double panel units and 2 1600x420mm vertical units, upstairs there will be 2 600mm double panels rads.

There are currently 7 rads fitted in the original house.

Tee into the 22mm...

So run as close to all the rads as possible in 22mm then reduce down to 15mm for the connections, this would probably be 22mm to the walls at the top of each rad then down inside the walls in 15mm, or is it beneficial to run the 22mm inside the stud walls then just go to 15mm at the rads?

Yep, as I suggested in post #3 above. It also helps confirm the flow through the boiler is the correct direction too.
The flow on that boiler can only go in one direction, if flow and returns are reversed this is only a problem with TRVs and external stuff not the boiler

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back