Identify my wood!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am planning to have my internal doors stripped - and was wondering if anyone can identify the type of wood it is from the pattern?

Can anyone also suggest a finish for the doors that would keep them looking as natural as possible?

Thank you!!

Joe

Sponsored Links
Would have thought stripping will cost more than the doors are worth.

What makes you say that foxhole?

They are solid wood and are pretty heavy - I would say they are pretty good quality doors as they go.

What indicates you otherwise, maybe i'm missing something?

Thanks

Solid , then maybe firedoors , but not solid timber, two sheets encasing a fibre core.Nothing special.What do you hope to achieve by stripping, helps if we have the whole story.

Sponsored Links
They are painted with a glossy finish, and I just want to strip them back to the original wood.

My flat is a 1930s build and these appear to be the original doors. They are very heavy, and no they are not solid, as there is a a space inside them.

It looks like beech, maybe birch veneer.
Only my opinion, but dipping for stripping would give those doors a hard time - maybe destroying them. There's a lot of open grain there!
John :)

if you look closely at the door.......no closer.
its tree wood. :LOL: :LOL:

take a look at the top edge of the door,if you can see any ply lip there then as others have said then it may not be solid.

Sand it back to knock off the glaze then try waxing or oiling for a nice finish. If it all goes wrong, nothing ventured nothing gained.

If they are original 1930's doors they will most likely be hemlock panelled doors with a plywood face added in the 70's.

Don't know about the type of wood but as they aren't solid then they would probably dissolve if they were dipped.

Better to go for the sanding option and then finish as suggested above or even use a matt varnish so it doesn't look quite so false as the high gloss.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back