Identify part of my central heating system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys.
IMG_20200930_190641.jpg

I have a part of my heating system that is like to identify. It's constantly dripping at the moment and not sure if I have a problem.

Many thanks
Mark

Sponsored Links
It is a Tundish and needs attention, shouldnt be any water in there under normal circumstances

I have an unvented system and every few months I have the same issue - only its not an issue really because its what its for - its a visual aid to see when my systems tank needs its air bubble recharging / purging of water. When I can see the drips its time to recharge. Not saying this is your case but this vid may help.
in this vid the water comes out of the tundish evem more but whenever I have done mine by turning the valve no water comes out but i can hear a gurgling sound from the tank - like trying to empty a tank too fast. I hold the valve open until the curgling fully stops, usually about 40mins and then thats it for 7 months or so.
The valve is srping loaded and if you turn too far it clicks shut but I can balance it and keep it open while I do something else.

Sponsored Links
Thank you so much for you help guys. It turns out that there is a TPRV that is not working correctly and leaking through the valve. I have a plumber inusrance type thing and I've paid out £45 for the excess for someone to come out to tell me the valve needs replacing and now they want to charge me £120 to drain donw the system. Does that seem excessive to you. I know the part is around £65, wondering If I could drain down and fit it myself?

Many Thanks
Mark

Just re read your issue and you says its dripping all the time. When my system needs air sak purge it only drips when the hot water is on.

£45 for the excess for someone to come out to tell me the valve needs replacing and now they want to charge me £120 to drain donw the system.

£45 sounds like a standard call out for a start and then another £120-- What the HECK are you actually paying for with your insurance.

As for doing it yourself I would not deal with pressurised systems DIY.
Reminds me the other week I had my boiler serviced and the gas engineer although fully accredited etc to fit boilers he is not allowed to deal with the unvented pressurised system side of things.

I don’t think you are allowed to mess with an unvented cylinder unless you have the proper qualification although having said that, you’re not designing and installing the whole system, it’s only a sealed, screw on part of an already installed system - no adjustments etc so if it was me, I’d be tempted have a go. I don’t think you’d need to drain the whole cylinder down either - it will be fitted at the highest (and hottest) part of the cylinder. :whistle:

you’re not designing and installing the whole system, it’s only a sealed, screw on part of an already installed system - no adjustments etc so if it was me, I’d be tempted have a go.

Au contraire, it’s maintaining a safety part of the system, so therefore would need a G3 registered engineer to sort this out.

I know and I did say that if you read the whole post.

Actually you stated “you don’t think you can mess around with unvented systems”, I did read the whole post. You also said, if it were you, you’d be tempted at having a go.

That’s right. You’re supposed to be G3 registered. I’m not, I wouldn’t design and install an unvented system but I’d have a go at replacing bolt on parts. It’s not rocket science so let’s not pretend it is.

Is there any legal requirements or licence required to change the same PRV on a heating system?

Last edited:
Your prerogative I suppose as a homeowner.

Well, I’m in the motor trade so I’m not exactly Kak handed but I can’t see much difference between replacing a PRV and overhauling the brake cylinders on a ten tonne truck. Only difference is you don’t legally need a licence to repair ten tonne truck brakes. I know what would have the greatest chance of failure and potential to take out more people if the job went bad.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back