Dripping white pipe just under roof tiles - what is it?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

Can anyone help me identify what this pipe might be? It comes out of my roof just below the tiles, and is almost certainly linked in with my hot water tanks and central heating system in the attic. Unfortunately my attic's not accessible at the moment, so I can't work out exactly what it is!

It only started leaking about 5 months ago, but it drips almost constantly, to the extent that the roof below it now has moss and even the odd weed growing out of it! It's never a steady flow of water, just a constant dripping...

If anyone's got any ideas what it is I'd be very grateful!!

Boog[/img]

Sponsored Links
It's the overflow pipe from either the cold water tank or the central heating feed/expansion tank. It's normally caused by a leaking or mal-adjusted ball valve especially if it's just dripping slowly.

Thanks very much for such a quick reply. Is it serious in any way? I'll certainly try to get up and have a good look. Doesn't suggest urgent repair required though?

Only urgent in the freezing winter, when the drip freezes and a plug of ice blocks the overflow......always wanted a shower in the lounge :p
Nice to have it done as soon as you can.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Run your hot tap for a while and see if the dripping stops. If it does which i suspect it will it will be your CWSC for your hot water which will be the larger tank of the 2 ;)

Change both float valves, one in the cold water storage tank and one in the expansion tank. (if you have one)

Andy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back