Identify SWA

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anybody help me identify the core size of an offcut of SWA? Moulded into the outer sheath it says " ELECTRIC CABLE 600/1000v BS5467-1997" then printed in white "1416 MT I P NO 13344031". The 1416 seems to be a progressive no as it is 1415 and the 1414 further back along the cable. I cant see any other identification. The outer sheath diameter is 13-14mm. It is 3 core and either 1.5mm2 or 2.5mm2 but stranded cores to hard to work out.

Sponsored Links
You may have to be more accurate -

upload_2015-8-20_16-2-13.png

It is 3 core and either 1.5mm2 or 2.5mm2 but stranded cores to hard to work out.
Measure the bundle of strands to get the diameter of one core. If it could be any size then that wouldn't be accurate, but as you have a choice of two, it will be - there's a .4mm difference between the two.

You may have to be more accurate -

View attachment 83884
I see what you mean, thanks for the table. The 13-14mm is measuring the major and minor diameters but almost exactly replicates the the difference between 1.5 and 2.5mm2. Now if I had a kilometre of it, I could weigh it......

BAS, I reckon the core is 2mm.......?

Perhaps I have to cart it down to TLC and ask if I can compare it with a known size.

Sponsored Links
Post a picture of the conductors next to something to use as a reference point. It might be easy enough to tell

Or try and get a red/blue crimp over the end

Just measure the diameter of one strand with a micrometer, calculate the CSA and multiply by the number of strands.

regarding the 1416, its been cut off a large drum, it is marked every metre to assist cutting

Post a picture of the conductors next to something to use as a reference point. It might be easy enough to tell

Or try and get a red/blue crimp over the end

Blue fits, red doesn't. But last time I used 1.5mm2, red didn't fit either so no help really. Thinking back I am pretty sure it is 2.5mm2 but I might just buy a new length so I am sure what I am using.

Thanks for all assistance (including the French woman.....?). Just surprised that if they can mark the cable length on the drum, they can't mark the conductor size.

Well they often do, but if you're using cable every day you don't need to look at the markings to see what size it is

The white stamps is for cutting purposes really, you may find other info like the size just in raised letters on the casing but also black

A micrometer with which you could measure 1 strand is one thing, but a vernier calliper gauge is a pretty basic tool.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back