IDENTIFY

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
if you wir a 2 way light using 3 core i no you have 2 identify sw lives etc in the regs but on a completion test is this a major issue or test fail or anything thanks,after all a competant spark should no whats what surely thanks

Sponsored Links
An Electrical Installation Certificate cannot be issued if it is not done.

The document would be fraudulent otherwise.

Since the core are different colours and you will over sleeve with brown, where's the problem ?

If you don't over sleeve in brown, self flagellate :rolleyes:

flag·el·late (flj-lt)
tr.v. flag·el·lat·ed, flag·el·lat·ing, flag·el·lates
1. To whip or flog; scourge.
2. To punish or impel as if by whipping.

Sponsored Links
Because the original post asks whether it is acceptable IF THEY HAVEN'T BEEN IDENTIFIED (i.e. oversleeved).

Read the question next time.

if you wir a 2 way light using 3 core i no you have 2 identify sw lives etc in the regs but on a completion test is this a major issue or test fail or anything thanks,after all a competant spark should no whats what surely thanks
Do you really not no the difference between no and no?

Guys shall we just get on with the electrical stuff and leave the petty spiel to the GD forum ???

Because the original post asks whether it is acceptable IF THEY HAVEN'T BEEN IDENTIFIED (i.e. oversleeved).

Read the question next time.

Try reading my answer, 4rse :mad:

And maybe you shouldn't post if it's your monthly time, HRT might help with the blunt and rude remarks :rolleyes:

Not a daft question. It says:- 632.2 The schedule of test results shall identify every circuit, including its related protective device(s), and shall record the results of the appropriate tests and measurements detailed in Chapter 61.

Now to me that means each "circuit" should be identified and a "circuit" is everything after the protective device. So the consumer unit must have every MCB/Fuse labelled and every FCU should have a label showing it's use.

There is also:- 514.1.1 Except where there is no possibility of confusion, a label or other suitable means of identification shall be provided to indicate the purpose of each item of switchgear and controlgear. Where the operator cannot observe the operation of switchgear and controlgear and where this might lead to danger, a suitable indicator shall be fixed in a position visible to the operator.

However there is really nothing to stop a two way switch from being wired with three brown cores. The bit that really controls this is:-
514.3.1 Except where identification is not required by Regulation 514.6, cores of cables shall be identified by:
(i) colour as required by Regulation 514.4 and/or
(ii) lettering, and/or numbering as required by Regulation 514.5.

And then 514.4.4 Other conductors
Other conductors shall be identified by colour in accordance with Table 51.

And reading this I see no need to identify what each core does all that is required it to indicated it's status in respect to earth. So Blue, Green/Yellow, Brown, Black, Red, Orange, Yellow, Violet, Grey, White,
Pink or Turquoise can be all used to identify voltages 24vdc, 230vac etc. But I can find nothing that says when you open the consumer unit all the browns for example should have numbers on them and a key included to show what wire feeds what. And in same way there is no need to identify which is the switch wire in a ceiling rose or switch.

Yes it would be handy and when designing and installing panels for large machines I did use numbers and pin crimps to stop the numbers falling off but there is nothing to say you must do this.

As for rudeness, I just felt like acting like Ban All Sheds for a couple of days.

Oi, there's no need for you to slag BAS of for no reason whatsoever.. if you don't like the guy then that's up to you but personal attack for no reason are not welcome here..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back