Identifying material on masonry wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The inner side of an exterior wall in my house has, behind the plasterboard, a kind of masonry which I'd like to identify.
I attach pictures.
It looks like concrete but it's quite easy to drill: I can very easily drill it with a 2mm wood/metal drill bit in a HAND (i.e., not electric) drill.
This material is at least 5cm thick (maybe more), as inferred from the hole I drilled.
So, what's the name of that substance? Is it safe to hang heavy stuff (e.g., a radiator) to it using rawlplugs?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
What's the details of your house; type, age, etc? Or a photo so we can identify the type.
stuart/ I'm not sure it's aac block. You'd see the joints.

What's the details of your house; type, age, etc? Or a photo so we can identify the type.
stuart/ I'm not sure it's aac block. You'd see the joints.
It's a terraced house, two floors, built in the '70's (probably second half).

Sponsored Links
Aerated block, aka Thermolite.

It can be fixed to, but fixings can be tricky due to the softness of the block - it's easy to widen the hole slightly when drilling causing the plug to be loose.

I always use either some expanding polyurethane glue in the hole, or Fischer "Wet n Fix" pads. But some PVA or tube adhesive will do.

I was thinking aac slabs but they were used more in the 50s and 60s. To be sure I'd need to know the exact house type. It could be blocks but they would have to be large ones, otherwise you'd see the joints. In any case it sounds like some sort of aac material, which is basically the same as modern thermal blocks except you know the exact quality of modern blocks. It should be fine for fixing radiators. Maybe just add a couple of extra fixings for the large ones.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back