Idiot's Guide to building an extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just been left a lovely bungalow on a good plot of land which we'd like to move into but to work with our family it needs another bedroom. Having perused the tales of woe on here about extensions, planning, builders (obviously not the ones on here :) ) etc. I was wondering if there's an idiot's guide to seeing if an additional bedroom on the front is viable (I think it will be. Size isn't huge and it would still be behind the building line), cost effective (ie, a rough order of magnitude of price) and the steps to actually get something designed, priced, approved and built? How does one actually go from "We could stick a bedroom on the front" to "Night Night dear, sleep well"?

Sponsored Links
Get yourself an architectural technician, who will be able to walk you through it for a fee a whole lot less than a normal architect. They're a lot more grounded too.

Nozzle

I've emailed a couple local to the bungalow. Thanks for the tip.

Hi i had a similar issue when i built my late parents an extension as long as your behind your building line you should ok but i'd still check with your local authority.

Sponsored Links
It's well back from where the neighbour's house is. My problem is more I know very little about building an extension (I am capable of most the bits but not in the scale required) or all the different elements involved so need an expert to assess the scale of the job and hang a rough number on it to see if it's worthwhile doing. There would be a drain involved for the en-suite and it's a cess pit which is a complete black art. If it's a worthwhile project within the budget available then I'd hope to go down some sort of design and build route, in part so that any problems are the contractors, and in part because I currently live a 3 hour drive from the house. I've also watched plenty of Grand Designs and know better than to even think about project managing my own project. :)

I know some idiots. I'll ask them for a guide. (y)

If the property is not in a conservation area or suchlike special area, and has a good set-back from the road, then a front extension may well be possible. Only a competant local designer who can review the local planning policy and assess the plot in context of the policy will be able to tell you what is possible. Don't automatically assume that a bedroom on the front is the best option.

It is a good idea to pay for a bit of architectural input rather than do what many do, which is get a drawings guy round to draw an extenstion without considering the rest of the bungalow. It would be a shame to do it all only to find your kitchen is too small for example.

Perhaps you can go upwards instead? A loft conversion or even a new roof can sometimes be a better solution.

In my experience (two architects and an architectural technician), plus anecdotal evidence from work colleagues who have used the same people - I can confidently say that the "Architect" breed have their heads in the clouds with no sound "foundation" (pun intended) of the difference between what is possible and what is necessary. They are the artisans of the building world. If you want a grand scheme that'll win an award for services to modernism or whatever type of building then go right ahead if you have the cash.

If you want a basic extension which can actually be built by ordinary builders.... don't waste your money on an Architect. Use an Architectual Technician/Technologist instead:

https://ciat.org.uk/about-us.html

Nozzle

Last edited:
It is a good idea to pay for a bit of architectural input rather than do what many do, which is get a drawings guy round to draw an extenstion without considering the rest of the bungalow. It would be a shame to do it all only to find your kitchen is too small for example.

Perhaps you can go upwards instead? A loft conversion or even a new roof can sometimes be a better solution.

We're just investigating the art of the possible at the moment.

The layout of the bungalow and its position on the plot and the size of the plot lends itself to putting the extra bedroom on the front. It wouldn't be an imposing extension and putting the bedroom window on the front of it would actually improve the aesthetic of the building which currently just has a large piece of blank, rendered wall to the side of the front door. The bungalow has a very low pitched roof so a loft extension won't fly.

With what little knowledge I do have, I foresee the biggest problem being the fall from an en-suite at that side of the property to the cess pit which is at the other side of the property. But then, that's why I've got an Architectural Technician coming out the week after next (my choice of date) to have a look. The problem with a little knowledge is it's a dangerous thing.

I used an Archtectural Technician that I found on my local councils website listed as one of their partners, came round, seemed nice enough, said what we wanted was easily achievable, recommended we went will full plans straight away.

18 months later, still no loft conversion, what an absolute arsehole he turned out to be. Clueless is an understatement.

If yours hasn't been personally recommended to you someone you know then have a read up on similar projects to yours and your Councils rules on what can and can't be built.

I used an Archtectural Technician that I found on my local councils website listed as one of their partners, came round, seemed nice enough, said what we wanted was easily achievable, recommended we went will full plans straight away.

18 months later, still no loft conversion, what an absolute arsehole he turned out to be. Clueless is an understatement.

If yours hasn't been personally recommended to you someone you know then have a read up on similar projects to yours and your Councils rules on what can and can't be built.

You fill me with confidence Ian. Not. :(

I shall ask around. Part of the problem is I'm a 3 hour drive from the bungalow which makes asking around something of a challenge. Anyone know any good architects or architectural Technicians around Hereford? I'm as likely to get a good answer here as there. :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back