IEE regs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All
Is there any difference between The wiring regs and scottish wiring regs.
I am upgrading my shower (9.5 kw) what size of MCB do I need.?
Do the regs now state that the minium wire is 10 mm. Cable run 6 meters
I am also fitting down lights what standard do they need to meet
I also heard that you need to get a certificate if anything is altered, is it true.
Any helpful questions that i can ask the installer to see if he is on the level.
Sorry about all the questions but was biting once by an EXPERT
Thanks

Sponsored Links
No disrecpet, but if you do not know how to work out the current rating of a 9.5kW shower, then you are not competent to do the work as it means you have absolutely no electrical knowledge what-so-ever.

The IEE Regs and Scottich Electrical Regs are similar, but I think there may be differences caused by differences in Law, that is all as far as I am aware, but I stand to be corrected on this by others who may know more clearly, such as Scottich sparks.

Don't worry about Standards for Downlighters, if they do not meet British/European Standards then selling them would be a criminal offence, regardless of Scotland or the rest of the UK Laws.

Depending on what is altered amd how it is altered will have a direct bearing on whether a certificate is required legally or not for compliance purposes, this is something you need to investigate in Scotland. Part P of the Building Regs does not affect Scotland, but you do have your own strict codes, I would check them in your local library.

Regarding asking questions, you are not knowledgable enough to ask relevent questions, but even then the answers may not detremine if he is on the level or not, so a largely pointless exercise IMHO.

f49h said:
Hi All
Is there any difference between The wiring regs and scottish wiring regs.
No - there is no such thing as "Scottish" wiring regulations. Building Regulations yes, but not Wiring Regulations.

I am upgrading my shower (9.5 kw) what size of MCB do I need.?
Depends on the size of the cable. To comfortably pass the load of the shower you need a minimum of 40A, but if the cable is not rated to take at least that then you need a smaller breaker, as you need an electrical fire less than you need the shower to keep going.

Do the regs now state that the minium wire is 10 mm. Cable run 6 meters
Depends on the method of installation, but for practical purposes and future proofing you should not consider installing anything smaller than 10mm²

I am also fitting down lights what standard do they need to meet
CE marked, SELV if in Zone 1 of a bathroom, and suitably IP rated for wherever they are.

I also heard that you need to get a certificate if anything is altered, is it true.
I have no idea what the regulations are in Scotland regarding this.

Any helpful questions that i can ask the installer to see if he is on the level.
None that I can think of apart from "can you provide me with some references I can contact?".

Sponsored Links
As BAS says, Scotland works to BS7671 just like the rest of the UK, but our building regulations are different, and this is why Part P(which is a building regulation) has caused so much confusion up here, because some media publications and manufacturers looking for business make out that Part P covers the whole of the UK, wheras it only covers England and Wales.

Scotlands new building regs came into effect on May 1st, and the electrical change covers work where building warrants are required, if you work in a property as far as building warrant is concerned you need to be registered with Select to sign off the new building warrant/completion certificates, wheras as per before any electrical work in addition to the new buidling regs and outwith the building regs need BS7671 certs as normal.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back