IExplorer "Ghost process" hogging memory

Reaction score
Country
Cook Islands
Recently I have found my PC getting slow. When I look in Task Manager, under "Processes" I see IExplore.exe with 50 or 90 Mb of memory usage - even if I close all IE windows. it looks like it is hanging on like a ghost and hogging memory.

Any suggestions what might cause it?

It happens even when I have no Applications shown as running (after I have closed all windows)

Win XP

IE7

Norton Systemworks 2004
Norton Internet Security 2007

all up-to-date with latest online updates

Sponsored Links
Yes. You have some adware or spyware on your machine.

If you don't have any anti-spyware application(s) installed, then now would be a good time to get some.

If you already have, then have you scanned with it/them?

Adaware last run 6/12/07 00:20:11 file version 3/12/07

Windows defender run every night about 2a.m. definitiions file 5/12/07

Norton Internet Security active incl inbound firewall and spyware and virus protection

Security Inspector last run 30/11/07

Quick scan last run 7/12/07. no risks detected.

Norton Antivirus last run (can't see it - is it part of Security Inspector now? I see the virus definitions are included in the Live Update downloads.)

:eek: thought I was well-covered

You could be forgiven for thinking so, but AdAware and Defender between them are capable of missing quite a lot, and Norton won't find yer spyware innit.

I would delete all Temporary Internet Files, although this will have limited (or no) impact if there's an instance of IE already running.

I would also delete all files in %systemdir%\temp, and in %SystemRoot%\Windows\temp\.

After that I would eliminate the possibility of remaining spyware using one of my old favourites, that being the rather nefariously named "Spybot Search & Destroy"

Sponsored Links
It found "7FaSSt "

don't know how it got there

so I have to use four condoms, plus celibacy, plus a vasectomy?

p.s. it seems to be going faster now

Back