Program not responding, won't close

Reaction score
Country
Cook Islands
i often (more than twice a day) find my PC running slow, I look at task manager and see a Program Not responding (almost always IExplorer but can be MSIM if I've tried to open a web link from an email) and when i try to close it, I get the not responding message, and it doesn't. If i try to shutdown the PC I get a "waiting for close program" and I can't shut it down without pressing the reset button.

I've run Norton Onebutton checkup, checked the BIOS settings are per manual, even changed the hard disk and reinstalled windows, any idea what it might be? Windows ME, up to date with Windows Updates.

Sponsored Links
Please tell us more about your PC...

It sounds like it MAYBE a memory issue.

Let us know what Motherboard, CPU, memory (make, how many modules and speed if you know) hard disk and OS. Also any other devices you have installed.

Motherboard is a SIS (have mislaid the booklet)
It now has 768Mb RAM (I recently added 512 to the existin 256 as I thought it might be running out. This same fault existed before) Of this 64 is reserved. Can't see the make. this is total 2 modules. i am sure the speed was 133 but the BIOS has set itself to 100.
It has on-board SIS Graphics. (no additional graphics card) and sound.
Processor is AMD Duron(tm) Processor 800
BIOS is American Megatrends 04/25/01
BUS are PCI,ISA,USB
Floppy is 1.44 MB
Hard disks are C38.29 GB, D 2.95 GB (D is for backups)
Video is 800x600 in 32-Bit Color, SiS 630/730 Ver. 4.0
Windows is ME 4.90 (Build 3000 )
DOS is 8.0
It has a 52x CD reader, and a CD writer.
I recently installed a USB OKI B4100 orinter, but I had the same probs when I had my previous OKIPAGE 6e and EPSON 800 serial printers.
Screen is 15" TFT
It is not networked.

Looking at the Device Manager, System devices, the System Board Extension for PnP BIOS is showing a resource conflict, (code 15) but when I try Hardware Troubeshooter it can't identify a problem, as Resources (I am on automatic setting) says No Conflicting Devices. A couple of weeks ago I "removed" this from the Device List, and let it reinstall itself, and for a while it showed no resource conflict. Now it has come back, and removing it again doesn't help.

IMHO, and others may disagree, but Windows ME was the most troublesome O/S and can be fussy about drivers. Older SIS chipsets have also displayed certain compatibility problems with ME, again, that is in my experience.

I would start by reloading ME (yes again) and making sure that you have the latest ME drivers and that there are no conflicts in device manager before loading anything else. Also, take a restore point after you have completed a basic build and before loading any other software. Yes, it's a pain in the arse, but will probably be quicker than trying to fix it.

Sponsored Links
I had similar and other problems with ME in a Packard Bell Aloha. Our IT guys recommended I upgrade to XP with SP2, which I did. All problems "went away"- that was about a year ago now. PC is in daily use.

Igorian said:
I would start by reloading ME (yes again).
Don't put yourself through that again ;)
Have you ever heard of Nemesis 2? - XP Pro with SP2 & Microsoft Office 2003 all on 1 CD?
Does away with all the incompatability issues of dinosaur OS's like 98 & ME.

Seek and thou shalt find :)

Homer

No, i haven't heard of Nemesis, and my usual supplier (Novatech) dosn't list it. I'm guessing that if it includes MS Orifice, and also a Pro version, it isn't cheap?

homertimpson said:
Igorian said:
I would start by reloading ME (yes again).
Don't put yourself through that again ;)
Have you ever heard of Nemesis 2? - XP Pro with SP2 & Microsoft Office 2003 all on 1 CD?
Does away with all the incompatability issues of dinosaur OS's like 98 & ME.

Seek and thou shalt find :)

Homer

I agree, XP is a more stable O/S. My reason for not recommending it directly was merely due to the fact that the PC is a little old. If you decide to take this approach, it's worth having a browse at the MS HCL (Hardware Compatibility List) to ensure you are not leaping from the frying pan into the fire. :D

I'm afraid i also have to count the pennies...

Well, I had my doubts about it being the OS, but this week I bought Windoze XP and installed it on a clean disk, and my prob seems (fingers crossed) to have gone away. Thank goodness for regular disk backups!

No crashes, freezes or BSODs so far, and the device manager shows no probs.

You won't regret dumping ME, just take my word for it. Glad to hear your probs are gone.

Sponsored Links
Back