Microsoft Installer never completes

Reaction score
Country
Cook Islands
I have downloaded and tried to install a new version of TomTom Home.

It starts off, with the TomTom Installshield Wizard, defines the destination folder, then uses Windows Installer, unpacks some files, calculates space, says "Installing, may take a few minutes" or similar; the status bar runs right to the end, but it never finishes. Even if I leave for 12 hours. If I click "cancel" it never completes the Cancel either.

I can't restart the PC without pushing the reset button, even though Task Manager tells me that CPU is 99% idle. It's as if it's busy. It won't start Internet Explorer either. I can see MSIEXEC.exe running when I look in Task Manager.

I have uninstalled the old version from Control Panel, and even deleted the TomTom directory from C:/Programs.

Still won't work.

It does not even create a destination folder.

After a while everything stops responding except tsak manager, and the system seems almost frozen, although CPU is still 99% idle.

I have Norton Internet Security and have tried temporarily disabling the Smart Firewall and the Antivirus Auto-Protect, no help.

Windows XP Home.

Sponsored Links
well I managed it in the end

Having already uninstalled the program and deleted the directory, I searched for all files and directories starting "TomTom" and deleted all of them, and then removed all links to the files I had removed. The install then worked.

Sponsored Links
Back