If I may change bath and shower in the future, is floor tiling a good idea?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Previous owners installed bath, shower and lino flooring in the bathroom, however the lino now needs replacing. The shower and bath are ok for now, but if I had a bit more money I would probably swap them, and as they were installed by previous owners there's always the potential that they will need swapping at some point anyway (lots of badly finished jobs in the house).

Is there a sensible flooring option in the bathroom if you know the shapes around bath and shower may change in a few years when they are replaced? Is it an ok idea to just buy a few more tiles to be ready for that event? Or is there another type of flooring you'd recommend?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I would tile , keep the odd tile in case of unexpected damage ( but it’s rare). Pointless worrying about future changes .

I would tile , keep the odd tile in case of unexpected damage ( but it’s rare). Pointless worrying about future changes .
Thanks - so if I kept extra tiles and had to replace the bath for a slightly different shaped one, I should be able to retile the area around the bath without it being obvious?

Thanks - so if I kept extra tiles and had to replace the bath for a slightly different shaped one, I should be able to retile the area around the bath without it being obvious?
If you are capable , yes .

Sponsored Links
Personally I'd stick with lino or similar (unless you have underfloor heating), tiles can feel very cold in bare feet. Plus if the floor underneath is timber you'll have to stiffen it before tiling (noggins, plywood etc)

That’s what I did. I fitted a ‘P’ shaped bath and later changed to a standard one. I kept half a dozen spare wall and floor tiles in the loft and they came in handy 5 years later. I also have two and a bit boxes of click fit Moduleo vinyl click fit boards in case I ever need to repair any damage/take the floor up in the kitchen/diner.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back