Tidying up the bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok, not long moved in and did want to have bathroom completely ripped out but after having a new fitted boiler, electrical work, and work on windows budget is not looking too healthy!

For the short term I was thinking of keeping existing bath, tiles, floor and just getting rid of taps, shower head, plug fitting, and any bathroom accessories that previous owner had fitted.

One thing I have noticed is before I even start there are already a lot of raw plugs fixed in the tiles and assuming there will be more.

What is the common thing to do with these? Do you pull them out and fill with something?

Also noticed that there is mildew running in the corner of bathroom where floor meets skirting. Same corner where shower curtain is hanging.

I'm hoping this is where previous owner just left the shower curtain dripping rather than anything serious!

Apart from treating the area, is there anything I can use to seal the area? There is a gap around floor tiles where it meets skirting? Are these expansion gaps like with Lino? Should these be sealed?

Sponsored Links
pull the rawlplugs out and fill with silicone or grout.

The gaps at the edges - no they just sound like a bad fitting job, no need for expansion. depending how big they are fill with grout.

Skirting - not a lot you can do really apart from paint it.

All of the above will be quick fixes designed to get you through until you can get the job done properly

pull the rawlplugs out and fill with silicone or grout.

The gaps at the edges - no they just sound like a bad fitting job, no need for expansion. depending how big they are fill with grout.

Skirting - not a lot you can do really apart from paint it.

All of the above will be quick fixes designed to get you through until you can get the job done properly

I bought silicone to go around bath etc can that be used for edging around floor tiles or does it need to be grout specifically?

Sponsored Links
First of all wash the bathroom down with a good quality anti fungal wash such as one made by Black friars dig out any untidy silicone and let the bathroom breathe

Open a window for as long as you can letting everything dry out properly

Then you can do all your minor repairs as already stated with silicone

I suggest you check that there is a fan in the bathroom and its is working correctly not just one that is connected to the light switch

Ideally you want one which has a humidity ,this will cut in automatically as and when needed instead of working of the lights

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back