If these are the ways of exam?

And for those people for whom this revisiting came too late, because they didn't get the qualification, and thus they didn't get a good performance rating in their annual review, or didn't get selected for a job interview?
As I've just written, my comments don't really apply to 'instant results' exams - the marking of which is necessarily fairly 'dumb'.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
But I'll tell you an interesting story about people not performing as expected on a given question. ... I attended a talk once given by the Special Educational Needs coordinator for Bucks, in the context of gifted children, and he was saying how hard it was for tests done in class to identify the over-performers compared to the under-performers, sometimes because the highly able children would "think round" questions.
You don't need to tell me! Many moons ago now, I had a bitter battle with the Bucks education system over one of my daughters. She was regarded as easily the 'brightest' pupil in her primary school year but 'failed' the "12-plus" exam (basically an IQ test) so badly that it took a major battle to get them to even allow us to appeal. We got an independent educational psychologist to test her properly and extensively, and she identified the problem as being precisely what you mention - that my daughter was 'too clever' and, as a result, very often failed to get the 'expected' answer. Despite all that, we lost the battle and she went to a Secondary Modern school, but fortunately went on to have a fairly spectacular academic career, certainly outshining me!
He gave an example of a primary school class doing a test, and one question in it was ... Which is the odd one out:
CAVE
BARN
TRACTOR
TENT
A child who the teacher knew to be very bright picked the "wrong" one.
As bernard has started to indicate, there are so many possible answers to that one, that'is it's not really worth discussing. As bernard has said, one could find a credible justification for any of them being 'the odd one out'. I therefore I'm not sure that's a very good example of the problem you are describing - that one is just a plain (very) bad question!!

Kind Regards, John

CAVE is the one that is not man made, all the others have other words in them ( tenT )

TRACTOR is the one that is mobile in use. only one with more than one syllable.

Each one is an odd man out in some way.
Bear in mind this was a test given to primary school children.

Which means that one needs insight into the workings of the minds of primary school children in order to predict/guess what answer they are most likely to give. As far as such youngsters are concerned, I would suspect that TRACTOR perhaps has the most going for it. It's longer and has more syllables than the other (4 letter) words, it is the only one that normally moves, it is the only 'machine', it's the only one that is used to 'do things' etc. etc. ... but who knows how their minds work. The more I look at that question, the less sure I am of what answer I would 'expect' from someone of any age!

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
TRACTOR was the "right" answer, for the reason that it's the only one that isn't a shelter.

The child in question picked BARN as it was the only one which you cannot put CON in front of to make another word.

Some of whom have extremely high levels of intelligence and are far more able than the teachers.

Teachers coping with Gifted Children can have a more challenging task than the task of coping with children with learning difficulties.

The whole matter of highly intelligent children is a mine field.

But to get back on topic, the majority of multiple choice examinations with fixed answers can only test what the student has retained since the lesson.

That depends more on the question than the answers available.

I've done exams where the knowledge being tested has not come (and could not have come) from a lesson (or even multiple ones) and where the questions are half a page long.

TRACTOR was the "right" answer, for the reason that it's the only one that isn't a shelter.
Well, although my 'guess' was right, I take no credit because I hadn't even thought of that particular 'reason' (and, in any event, one could probably shelter in a tractor if one really had to!) - as has been said, one could produce credible 'reasons' for any of the answers being 'right'!
The child in question picked BARN as it was the only one which you cannot put CON in front of to make another word.
That, perhaps, is a bit 'over-clever' for a primary school pupil (I certainly hadn't thought of that one).

I'd love to know what proportion of 'ordinary' primary school pupils got the 'right' answer and, more to the point, what proportion got the 'right answer' for the 'right reason' - as I said in my last post, there are multiple 'reasons' on could choose TRACTOR!

This is, of course, a situation in which examining the discriminatory value of individual questions could be telling. If it were the case that 'excessively clever' pupils tended to get this question wrong, that could result in a negative correlation between that question and overall performance.

Kind Regards, John

Apparently it was answer B. Can't believe my MFT has been lying to me all these years. :evil:

Apparently it was answer B. Can't believe my MFT has been lying to me all these years. :evil:
Yes, I rather suspected that the answer would be B - because they were probably thinking about the NOMINAL voltage and frequency figures you (rather stupidly!) have to write/print on all your forms (EIC, EICR etc.). Although your MFT will give you (hopefully fairly accurate) measurements (at a point in time), only enquiring to bureaucrats can tell you what the nominal figures are - but don't address your enquiry to winston!

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back