If you only have one socket in the bedroom ....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
and don't want to use extension leads

What's the max number of socket feeds you can pull off the one socket already in there?

Room is already floored and decorated so can't extend the actual ring of the room or upstairs in general as such

That's my limited underway sinful electrics anyway

But what do people generally do as most bedrooms in olden days prob only had a single socket anyway!

Sponsored Links
What's the max number of socket feeds you can pull off the one socket already in there?
With an FCU, basically as many as you like.

Without an FCU - slightly contentious. The guidance is one.

Room is already floored and decorated so can't extend the actual ring of the room or upstairs in general as such
So how would you run cables to additional sockets?

That's my limited underway sinful electrics anyway
Not sure you should be using mains electricity for sinful purposes in the bedroom - someone could easily die.

But what do people generally do as most bedrooms in olden days prob only had a single socket anyway!
Hopefully they think about it before doing things to the walls and floors which make it difficult and/or expensive to get at their wiring.

by FCU do you mean my main consumer box i.e thing that trips sometimes? because i only have one.....and that is downstairs....

i would any cable above the skirting board.....

"underway sinful" should have said "understanding" lol - silly ipad autospell!!

and yes in an ideal world it would be pre thought - but its a new-ish house and kids getting older now so needs more stuff around the room..... :)

Sponsored Links
So does that fcu basically sit next to existing socket and from that I can create and run wire to 2 new sockets?

I thought the ring was already set as such ie my socket goes into bedroom 2 and then to bedroom 3 (under floorboards) and that the ring isn't accessible ....

1. How do you know that it is a "ring"? The wiring to the socket may be a radial, or it may already be a spur (add-on). You need to find out as the approach is/may be different.
2. The wiring to the socket is accessible, it is behind the socket! So add-ons can be made at that point, but only if the circuit is suitable.

But per the comments above, and I know this isn't much help, the time to mess around with wiring and stuff is before the decorating and flooring is done!

ok - im rather confused so will let the electrician look into it.

i thought i would just get an idea of whether its possible but with my limited understanding of electrics i'll just hope he ok's two more sockets as really need them!

ps whats the deal with extension leads? are they safe? how many can you truly have off one socket/in one room's sockets...

If you use a multi-way adaptor,
like http://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Extension-Lead-6-Sockets-2m/p/204966
it plugs into your existing socket, and of course there is a 13A fuse in the plug, so not much chance of a sustained overload. They are handy for audiovisual nests, or a typical bedroom setup of lamps, radio, phone charger, and does not need any unskilled tinkering with your house wiring.

If you are willing to have the bedroom floor taken up, and/or the walls chased out (which makes a lot of gritty dust) you could have additional sockets fitted round the room. As a guide, I suggest a bedroom should have at least one double socket at each side of the bed-head, and one near each corner of the room, and one halfway along each long wall. Due to the mess, it is more convenient to do it shortly before you are planning to redecorate or fit new flooring or carpet. Surface-mounted sockets and mini-trunking look rather unsightly.

Avoid "extension cables" like you might use in the garden or garage, where there is a long length of cable that might get coiled or tangled up.

It is undesirable to use adaptors or extensions with high-power appliances such as heaters, washing machines, and especially tumbledriers.

thanks john

its a shame that decoration is already done, but i shall see if the electrician can fit a couple more sockets in the room running off the existing 1 socket in the room - and running any cables above the skirting boards. not sure what other choice i have at this stage.......

hope thats an ok plan.....

re the extension lead thanks for the advice. i was told that a surge protected one is better......but i get the idea.....

re the extension lead thanks for the advice. i was told that a surge protected one is better......but i get the idea.....

You were told wrong. In general we don't get surges in the UK. Do you surge protect any other sockets in the house? What is so special about a multiway adapter? Surge protectors are known to cause false RCD trips.

In general we don't get surges in the UK
Yes we do. However "surge protected" extension leads are not much use at coping with them, and the protection components are likely to fail the first time they are needed. Just something else to go wrong. I agree they can cause RCD trips.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back