Only one socket in room, how do i complete ring?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have only one single socket in each bedroom and want to install at least 3 double sockets.

I can replace the single sockets easy enough but when adding the other two sockets how do I complete the ring circuit if there is only one socket in the room?

Existing wirering is a grey flex with a red & black wire and then there is a sperate metal wire (earth?)

Thanks for any advice.

Paul

Sponsored Links
Please don't take this the wrong way but I think it would be best to call in a professional. If you only have one socket per room your wiring could be quite old.

You also don't sound familiar with electric's.

Please be safe and call an electrican.

BN

Basically, you should have a ring already, if the circuit is correctly wired. A very basic check is to remove the socket, separate the wires and put term blocks on each conductor, then reapply power. With a meter set to 240VAC, you should find power on both legs.

Now to extend the circuit, all you have to do is add sockets, each containing two legs of cable, and keep the "ring" intact.

If you are confused, get a piece of paper. At the top middle, draw a rectangle. This represents the CU. Next, draw some small squares representing sockets anywhere on the paper. Then draw a line from the CU to the nearest socket, then from that one to the next, all the way round till you get to the last one, which returns to the CU.

This is the "ring". Keep the circuit as a ring and you'll be tickety-boo.

but thats assumng it is using 2.5 t & e and it is a ring already, i agree with brown-nought, get a few quotes

Sponsored Links
securespark said:
Basically, you should have a ring already, if the circuit is correctly wired..............This is the "ring". Keep the circuit as a ring and you'll be tickety-boo.

Addendum.

If it is NOT a ring, seek professional help.

Thanks for all your advice.... :D

I will get someone to a have look, I have been quoted around £100 per socket, hence why Id rather do it but I also dont want to burn the house down!

securespark said:
securespark said:
If it is NOT a ring, seek professional help.

The house was built in the 60's, the socket in each room is a single plug and doesnt have a switch.

If its not a ring curuit then what other methods are there?

Im desperate to get this sorted out but not willing to make rash dissions and mess things up.

Paul

Unicron said:
If its not a ring curuit then what other methods are there?
While it's a bit quite today read securespark 1st post, he has explained it to find out if you have a ring main or not. Until the tests are carried out I don't think they can help you any further. The electrician's here need more details.

'Spider' radials were quite common then - you might want to check if it is one of those. A spider radial will have only one cable coming into every socket, and these will be connected to a junction box somewhere.

There are also branch radials:
radial%20diagram.gif

which are the types of radials used nowadays.

Often in the 60's rings were installed downstairs, with spurs going up to sockets upstairs. Over time, these can get abused and added to ad-hoc. If you have a circuit like this, it is best to upgrade.

Unicron said:
The house was built in the 60's, the socket in each room is a single plug and doesnt have a switch.

No more information is needed. You need a rewire. It's odds-on your earthing and bonding is not up to scratch (If even existent) and the cable is beyond its recommended life span by quite a margin. Even if it tested okay for insulation resistance it's well overdue for change.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back