Extend ring using only one socket???????

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to extend a ring circuit but only have easy access to one of the existing sockets.

If I take that socket out of service can I join the cables by some means and extend the ring via one socket.

I need approx 5 new double sockets for new ring extension

Sponsored Links
Alan

As long as the ring is present at that outlet, you can extend it.

There is no need to lose that outlet if you can join up the cables somewhere that is accessible ( and there is a debate as to whether under the floor is accessible - I think so!).

Take one of your new legs and connect it to one of the legs that currently feeds the socket you want to extend from, but do this independently of the socket terminals.

Then take the other leg of the new extension and wire that to the existing socket in place of the one you removed.

Thus you maintain integrity of the ring.

If you can't make these new connections under the floor, then you could put in a box adjacent to the existing outlet. Crimping is the best method of connecting the cores together.

Never seen it done but just an idea.. :idea:
Another possibility if extending from a double socket and you have a problem joining in would be to replace your back box with a dual accessory box. Then use two single sockets in that box. The cables from the existing ring are then connected one to each socket. The new ring run from one socket and returned to the other.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back