Spurring off a single socket in each room

Not as far as I am aware, although, I would be happy to be corrected.

Sponsored Links
So I know I'm new here, but I must have missed the part where b-a-s is solely responsible for all advice offered on this forum.
So have I.

You certainly act as if this is your responsibility / gift whatever
I act as if I am one of the people giving advice.

but why do you feel that you must challenge other people's opinions because you have some kind of deep-rooted requirement that you must protect all other forum members?
Because incorrect advice must be challenged, end of. It is a responsibility shared by all.

And anyway - if you are so concerned that other people's opinions should not be challenged, why have a go at me? If you'd care to go back and read it again, you'll see that it was EFLI who challenged my advice, so you should be telling him that he should have kept quiet. Assuming, that is, that you are being consistent and even-handed in your criticism.

I'm happy to sign up to a "I absolve b-a-s from all responsibility if, in turn, he stops commenting on my threads" clause if that makes you feel better?
It doesn't work like that. Particularly when it is a case of me defending myself against unjustified criticism.

Yup.

Instead of this:

View attachment 137398

this:

View attachment 137399

My contention is that it really is no harder, and no more disruptive, and doesn't introduce any hidden joints, to run 2 cables to the new socket instead of one.

And contrary to those with the imagination and foresight of an amoeba, I can see that there might come a day when you'd rather have the new socket on the ring than on a spur, and that it cannot be said with certainty that it is utterly impossible for that ever to happen.
Thanks, this is actually helpful, as i had (not an exaggeration...) two sockets in a 30 foot lounge, one single socket either end... So I wanted much more sockets, but could only add three each end (single to double then a double spur). This way i can just extend the ring along the wall, and actually have a meaningful number of sockets, especially as every single room in the house needs extra sockets, it would be a lot of spurs, and one room already has a spur that controls the central heating so I though i was stuck with one socket in that room!

Thanks

Yes, this is a different situation than the OP was proposing.

You will want to put all the new sockets on the ring.

Determine which is the cable that runs from one existing socket to the other, break into it, and install as many new sockets as you want between the two existing ones.

Sponsored Links
jmallows - some points to note:

• There are restrictions on where concealed cables may run: https://www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:walls
  • The guidance for maintaining the strength of walls is for the depth of horizontal chases to be no more than ¹/6 of the thickness of the wall (for vertical it's ⅓, so unlikely to be a problem)
  • The socket circuit needs to be RCD protected

Assuming my walls are five inches thick, that means i can go to just over 20mm deep then? The sockets are next to each other as well, so the distances of the chases are no more than 10cm. I am fairly certain the circuits are all RCD protected, but i will check first.

Thanks both :)

And nor have I ever claimed otherwise.

Feel free, at any time, to put forward a logical and reasoned argument of how that affects any advice I may give.

For the avoidance of doubt, ad-hominem attacks will not count.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back