Adding new power sockets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I would like to add a number of new power sockets at home. Currently I have a single socket in each bedroom, but would like to replace that with a double then add a spur off that and then a spur off the spur. Is this OK?
Another problem is I'm not sure if my upstairs is a ringmain or one long spur.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
You cannot spur off a spur.

There is no problem adapting single sockets to doubles, I would suggest that you add new sections of cable and incorporate any additional sockets onto the ring.

If you wish to establish whether the upstairs circuit is a ring, turn off the circuit at the consumer unit, then disconnect the neutrals and the lives in the consumer unit. Get a Multimeter, put it on bell..so it makes a tone when you complete a circuit. Put one prong on one neutral and the other on the other neutral, if you get a tone, you have a circuit. To confirm the validity of this, repeat this with the live and Earth conductors for that circuit..ensure they are the cables for the circuit in question.

If you get a tone on all three pairs of cable, you will have a ring, if you do not, then you have two spurs from the same breaker or fuse.

There are other ways to confirm, but this is the safest for you, just be careful.

I would urge you to turn the consumer unit off at the main switch whilst working in it.

FWL_Engineer said:
If you get a tone on all three pairs of cable, you will have a ring, if you do not, then you have two spurs from the same breaker or fuse.

1) Two radials from the same breaker not a Good Idea

2) And if you get a tone on some of the pairs, but not all, you have a problem.

You also need to do some tests on the sockets upstairs to confirm that they aren't on a long spur. (Unlikely, but you did think for some reason they might be). Checking at the CU will show if you have a ring or not, but that doesn't guarantee that your sockets in the bedrooms aren't spurred off the ring.

Reconnect at the CU, but before turning the power back on, remove a bedroom socket, and disconnect one of the cables. Make it safe with a bit of choc-block. Turn the power back on and check that both cables in the bedroom are live - if they are you have a ring, if only 1 is live then you don't.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back