iffy lighting - help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We had a new consumer unit installed earlier this year to replace a fifties fusebox. We also changed the bathroom light from an old thing with an integral heating element to a 3 spot halogen job. Everything was fine for a few months until the light was switched on, there was a brief flash of light (from the bulbs) and darkness ever since. I have removed the light fitting and tested it elsewhere and it works fine - one of the bulbs had blown. The consumer unit has not tripped but the light refuses to work in the bathroom. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
It sounds as if you've lost either a live or neutral to the bathroom light. Turn off the power at the consumer unit and check all connections, including those in the switch. Look for loose or damaged cables. If you find nothing untoward you'd be best to call in a professional.

one other thing, was the light you fitted suitable for a bathroom? it doesnt sound like it was

Sponsored Links
I would think you may have a fused connection unit lurking somewhere that fed the old light (as it had a heating element). I think this fuse has blown due to the lamp bulb blowing.

I am sure you may replace the fuse, if you can find it, but you shouldn't be undertaking any work in the bathroom as of today.

Come off it you lot! It is not illegal to poke around with your bathroom electrics to your hearts content. You can prod it, stick screwdrivers in it, attach any test gear you fancy. You can even replace damaged fittings or wires. It is not clear to me that a light fitting is not a fiiting within the meaning of part P, which means you can still replace lights to your hearts content. Is a water heater a fitting?

Apart from that, you can do anything whatsoever if you get it appropriately inspected, or if you don't give a damn.

Damocles said:
Come off it you lot! It is not illegal to poke around with your bathroom electrics to your hearts content. You can prod it, stick screwdrivers in it, attach any test gear you fancy. You can even replace damaged fittings or wires. It is not clear to me that a light fitting is not a fiiting within the meaning of part P, which means you can still replace lights to your hearts content. Is a water heater a fitting?

Apart from that, you can do anything whatsoever if you get it appropriately inspected, or if you don't give a damn.

yes but bathrooms and kitchens are special locations.......

Chris

My reading of http://www.odpm.gov.uk/stellent/groups/odpm_buildreg/documents/page/odpm_breg_033480.pdf, particularly 'Box A', suggests that it would be additions or alterations that apply to 'special locations' e.g. bathrooms, and thus be merely notifiable (and perhaps not 'illegal' as has been suggested).

Acording to this document anything relating to a repair of existing stuff would seem not to be notifiable. This might let the original poster (or anyone else) off the hook :rolleyes: :)twisted:)

The Part P document itself http://www.odpm.gov.uk/stellent/groups/odpm_buildreg/documents/page/odpm_breg_029960.pdf is perhaps less ambiguous though, especially Table 1.

Nice to see the ODPM can get a consistent story.................

Read table 1 quite a few times over the years. It has separate clauses saying different things which are allowed. This includes replacing accessories anywhere, whatever an 'accessory' might be.

I also have a letter from the ODPM which states rather unambiguously that all repairs are allowed without notification. I have yet to hear back whether they really meant that it is ok to replace the CU.

i would think that replacing a split load box of type B breakers with a split load box of type B breakers could be reasonablly considered as replacing an accessory

changing the protection type is a different matter

So it would be perfectly alright to replace my old wylex with the rewireable fuses with a new one. But not with mcbs. Fine. Excellent plan. Worth every penny, that scheme.

The letter from the odpm gave examples of electrical accidents. Sounded like most of them were down to people using the wrong fusewire.

ChrisRogers said:
its also illegal for you to be working with electrics in a bathroom!

FFS will you stop telling people that it is illegal to work on electrics in bathrooms, kitchens or anywhere else!.

You are either desperately ignorant of the true position, or you are taking some perverse delight in telling unhelpful lies.

Either way, you should stop.

Thanks chaps, I shall delay poking electrical appliances in the bathroom for some future date. In the meantime I located the problem. There was an old (and until today I thought a defunct) fuse unit in my airing cupboard which had blown. Let there be light! :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back