Ignition clicks on windy days

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As the last week has been quite windy I have noticed an interesting effect on my boiler (Potterton Prima F 30). I moved into the house last year about this time and this is the first time I have noticed it do this.

When the wind gets up the flames inside get blown around a little but stay lit. However if a particulary strong gust moves the flames in just the right way the ignition system kicks in and the igniter clicks. The flames don't go out at all so... should I be concerned by the igniter firing (I guess it will wear out quicker?) and is there an easy way to fix it without the help of RGI (positioning of thermocouple?)?

Sponsored Links
I suggest you get a RGI to look at this.

Wind should not blow into a boiler with any considerable force if the boiler is a room sealed boiler such as yours. The fact that it is suggest that maybe the boiler may not be sealed to the room and that the wind is blowing through the boiler. I suggest the boiler is not used until it is checked for safety.

Only recently I went to a lady who complained that the pilot kept on blowing out. She had removed the pilot sight glass to light it and not put it back. The wind was blowing through the boiler and out of the sight glass blowing the flame off the thermocouple. As soon as I replaced the glass the pilot flame the flame was as solid as a rock.

To be safe get this checked by an RGI

Hope this helps

I have read other posts where people mention that the flame can get blown around and even out due to the pressure differential at the face of the flue. The flame isn't actually blowing out and everything is still working, it's just annoying that the igniter keeps firing. Is it the thermocouple that commands the igniter to fire or is there another component that impacts this decision.

There is no thermocouple in your boiler. Its electronic and you should not try a DIY repair.

Wind should act reasonably equally on the inlet and outlet of the flue.

If the flue is wrongly positioned or placed in a passageway then the wind effects can be greater.

Regardless it does need to be checked by a gas registered engineer.

Tony

Sponsored Links
OP, your boiler needs to be serviced. Get an RGI to do the necessary and all will be fine.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back