Ignition fault, Potterton Suprima 60

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Unit type: Potterton Suprima 60
Fuel type: Natural gas
Unit age: 7 years

I'm having a problem with the firing of my gas boiler, which has developed over the last few months. The unit succeeds in initiating water flow, boiler fan and finally the ignition control. The problem is the unit either fails to fire or stops burning after a few seconds. The unit retries a further two times before arresting. A fast flashing green light is displayed when it fires and then fails. A slow flashing green light indicates that the firing cycle will initiate again.

Some times the unit will work for a while during it normal heating cycle.

I've resorted to standing over the unit and pressing the reset button many times after its three attempts to operate, but even this is almost fruitless.

The only thing that may be not in order may be the water pressure: the gauge is recording a pressure of 0,7 - 0,8 bar. Is this normal?

Could the ignition electrode be worn.

Best regards,
Brian :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
System pressure is not relevant for this. Sounds like it needs a service by a qualified bod. Could be several things a bit "out" in the ignition department.

could be ignition lead shorting out, or the gas valve.

either way you need to call a qualified engineer out.....when was the last time it was serviced??????

I have to admit that the aparatus hasn't ever seen a service technician. What would i expect to pay for a service? What is the price level that I definitely should not be expected to pay for a standard service?

I feel the electrode may be worn, the additional gap inducing difficulties in ignition. I'm an electronic/telecoms engineer not afraid to get my hand in there; can the electode assembly be purchased? If so, where can it be found?

Many thanks,
Brian

Sponsored Links
Stay out of there! Quite likely nothing to do with the elecrtic bit but I'm not telling you what it is! Top whack for a service hereabouts would be about £80, plus any parts at retail price. Potterton charge a bit more I think.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back