Ignition lockout on Baxi HE 50 Plus

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm planning to get my boiler serviced for the winter. It has very occasionally failed to light and locked out the ignition over the last few months. Should I be asking for a repair, or assuming that this can be dealt with by the servicing?

Sponsored Links
It is hard to say as it could be a number of things causing the lockout.

It is quite possible that as part of the service the problem is simple, identified and cured, it is also possible that part's are required.

I charge less for a service and wait a week before doing it to avoid those who ask for a service when it really needs a repair.

Sometimes I agree to do a service after a week but advise there will be additional charges if it turns out a repair is needed.

Many of these kind of faults are just servicing adjustments.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Well, this is what happened. I chose a company and booked the service,

"Would you like the engineer to phone 30 minutes before he will arrive?", said the helpful lady on the phone. Useful service, I thought - I can make sure that everything is ready for him.

Took the morning off work and mowed the lawn while I waited, leaving a note on the front door. Came back in the house and found a missed call, so I dialed 1471 and phoned the caller back.

"Ah, we couldn't raise you," said the engineer, "so we went on to the next job",
"But I was in all morning", I said.
"You asked us to phone, though," he said.
"I was in the garden - sorry".

The chap seemed friendly when he arrived.
"Lovely day," he said, 'Nice day to be IN THE GARDEN"

I showed him the boiler and timer for central heating and hot water.
"The thermostat's next door," I said, "I'll be upstairs".

He serviced the boiler, and called me down.
"Is there any power to this boiler?" he asked
"It's a constant supply isn't it?" I said, "You want it to light?"
"Yes," he said.
"Try the thermostat," I suggested.

And that was that. He left with a parting shot,
"Going back IN THE GARDEN, then?"

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back