Ignition warning lamp

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
New to this so hello and sorry about the lenghtly post!

I have a Biasi 28S combi. It's a '98 model. Don't know when it was last serviced. Last week I flushed it with Kamco for a week then drained 3 times and added an inhibitor.

Problem at the mo is the boiler stops and the ignition lamp comes on at half brightness (happening more often in last few weeks). To reset I have to run the hot water which brings ignition lamp to full brightness and will only then allow to reset.
My plumber is booked in for next monday. He told me on the Biasi it's likely the ignition board (black box) is on it's way out.
Can anyone back this up and also what does this board do?

Additionally the dhw never gets that hot and it's a struggle to get the bath water hot..need to run it very slowly. Plumber said it sounds like the heat exchanger is limescaled up and needs removing and descaling (plumber said he can do this over 2 days). Wondered if this could be contributing to the ignition problem.

Lastly, my gas bills are stinging at the mo, £110 for the last month. I'm considering having a condensing boiler installed - will I really see efficiency/cost saving versus my older Biasi?

Thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links
From what you have said, I would suggest waiting to see what the engineer says when he visits, there's not much else we can suggest from sitting here to immediately help you.

Depending whether you have any trv's fitted etc, I would only expect you to save around 15-20% maximum on your heating bill with a new condensing combi.

Thanks Dave.

Plumber has said it's likely to be a dry joint on the ignition board. Could also be diaphragm related but 1st step is to replace the board.

So I'm thinking to go the whole hog and replace my Biasi Ford Fiesta boiler with a condensing unit.

Plumber recommends 1. Valiant 2. Woc./Bosch 3. Glowworm

I see Valiants have a stainless steel heat exchanger whereas the Woc./Bosch has an Al. Silcon.

Any comments as to why they use different materials and if there are ads/disads?

thanks again..

Out of those 3 I would choose Vaillant every time, followed by Glow Worm.

I prefer s/steel HE's they will last longer and a lighter to lift when installing ;)

Sponsored Links
I know it's probably a degree of personal choice & experience but can I ask why the Valiant over the Wor. Bosch?

I see Valiant have self diagnostics and are a wee but dearer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back