IKEA gap to fill 30cm wide by 45-48cm deep

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a base unit gap to fill in an otherwise all ikea kitchen. Due to an RSJ in the way at the back it cannot be full depth.
The width ideally needs to be 30cms. It needs to be ~45cms deep.
Readily available from IKEA is a 30cm wide by 60cm deep pull out unit, but it would need precision cutting of the metalwork in it to make it shorter.
It is this one:
The other choice would be some drawers.
like this:https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/maximera-drawer-medium-white-20285035/
BUT I would need to reduce the width to 30cms somehow.

Anyone with any experience of making any of these fit unusual gaps?

Well I found this one from B&Q, seems to be the correct width, but would have to be sprayed white before fitting!

Any one know of any others that might do?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
The drawer bottom looks like it is some form of sheet material (MFC or MDF), so I think no problems there. Can't see what the back is, but looks similar, so probably will also cut down. Maybe a quick visit to an IKEA store to confirm is in order? Even if they have metal backs, it might still be possible to jigsaw them to the appropriate size

The back is a shaped thin metal piece with an angled fold at the top and a shaped lower edge to trap the base in place.
I think cutting that would lose a lot of stiffness of the drawer.
I had one I bought that must have been a customer return, the side pieces were not quite straight and it would not open or close properly. I suspect cutting with a hacksaw would distort the shapes too much. I found another company that does blum drawers, but £130 for two! vs the £70 for 2 from B&Q (when comparing soft closing that the ikea provides). I have assembled quite a few already as we are doing the kitchen in stages to keep it usable. So I have seen the metal sides and rear panels up close.
At some point soon we need to get an engineer in to move the gas pipes. But that time is not yet there.

The drawer bottom is mdf and that piece is simple to adjust, it is the metal bits that worry me. there are shaped plastic bits at the rear corners that couple the side and rear metal, after cutting to size it would need some precision cutouts to make things latch properly.

Sponsored Links
Get some white melamine and build in a wine rack / tray storage to take up the gap.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back