IKEA kitchen units and pipework

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I've read that IKEA units are probably the best out there for a tighter budget.

We've got a gas main running around the kitchen but under the unit height so no worries there.

Then we have the sink and pipes to the boiler. What should be happening here?

I'll probably get someone in to deal with it but here's a pic before any work has been done.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I think you will find the one of the complaints made by installers about Ikea units is the lack of a pipe-space behind them, You might want to check it out most normal units have a gap at the back of them.

They are a nightmare. Never again.

With IKEA units the lack of a service void means that you need to relocate the wastes and other pipework below the level of the cabinet base. The only one you'll have problems with is the waste where you must check carefully that the fall is sufficient (or that the run is not too long). I dislike IKEA units because they restrict the length of wastes you can run, but if your waste exit immediately behind the sink then you'll habve no problems

Sponsored Links
You do need to think about where your services run. Not too tricky but best to do it before you get too far rather than on the fly. I ran my pipes from the boiler under the floor then just popped them up into the dish washer void then ran across to the sink (which was right next to it). Waste went straight out through the wall. Good units for the money and easy to build and fit. Much better company to deal with rather than the trade style outlets too.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back